PDA

View Full Version : block heater or

smcghan
12-03-2004, 20:03
O.K. is the block heater supposed to go out every year? Begining of winter last year it died, put another one in. Went out this A.M. dead again. Yes I checked it's dead. Is there a better brand (then kats) or a better way to heat it up. Like the old heater hose or rad hose?? It has to have something that works. A lot of the time I can't wait for it to worm up before going . Thanks Steven

john8662
12-03-2004, 20:48
My suggestion, don't use the heater for prolonged periods. Lately its been getting to 20* f here at nighttime, I basically plug the truck in when I get up in the morning, after an hour I go and crank it up, starts first time well that way. It only takes 1 hour to get warm enough, 2 hours to completly warm. I still have my original block heater in my engine. Where are you buying your block heaters? I think its been said about a lot of things, but going back factory seems to be the best, instead of aftermarket.

For the 1 hour warm up you might also consider a timer, afterall save block heaters and your electricity bill, these heaters use 300 watts.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
12-04-2004, 05:53
Better yet, go down to your local Ace or Home depot and pick up an outdoor timer for your receptacle. Set it for 1 - 2 hours before you leave in the morn. and forget it. Ontario government provided all homes in our community with them under a power saver project a few years back ! Pretty slick, saves a ton of kwh ! :D

Brianlar
12-04-2004, 11:55
You could go to Kennedy Diesel, and order their pad oil pan heater. It takes less power to run that the other kind, and heats your oil first. $60.00

dieselcrawler
12-04-2004, 13:57
Steven,
I had the type of heater that went in the heater hose, and it never seemed to do a good job of heating the motor, only the thermostat cross-over pipe. The heads would still feel cold if you felt them. I had a block heater put in, one that goes in the left side freeze plug hole, about a year ago. Made a huge diffrence. Have had no problems with it at all, don't remember the brand. I do know it's big, around 700 watts. If it's pluged in, the motor is warm enough when I start it that it never goes to high idle. And if you feel the motor, it's warm all over, not just on top. It will even start with out using the glow plugs if I want it to. I don't have a timer on mine, just plug it in all night. Not the most efficent way to do it, but... I have about 4 diffrent places (my office/shop, my farm, my parent's farm, my rental property) I park my truck at night, and can't have a timer at all of them.

Greg

catmandoo
12-04-2004, 16:15
if you get a timer make sure it can handle the power the heater needs.mine comes on 2 hours before i need it,and i can't remember the last time i put a heater on one of my diesels.

smcghan
12-05-2004, 22:41
Thanks for all the reply's. I replaced the block heater with a zero start brand. I can't plug it in before I leave in the a.m. Besides the day job I'm a volunteer fire fighter so I go when needed. The parts store also had a different style heater that they call a tank heater. It's spliced in to a heater hose. The other end you take a drain plug out of the side of the block. Screw in a nipple, play connect the dots. Mount the tank @ plug in. It circulates the H2O. I bought both, so if the reg. one goes outagain I'm ready.
Thanks Steven

DieselDavy
12-06-2004, 05:39
Steven,
I wonder what makes your heaters die? I have an '82 and an '84, both with original block heaters. I had to replace the power cord on one but other than that, they've been good to go! When I bought the new cord from the dealer, it was cheaper to buy a kit that included a new heater with the cord. (about $25) I was going to flush the radiator anyway, so I took the old heater out to have a look. (it helped to drain the block better anyway) It had a lot of crud built up on it from years of service, kind of like the deposits you find on home water heater elements after a few years. I cleaned it up before re-installing. Still works fine. The unit has about 330k miles on it now. The '84 had about 250k miles and still working. They are getting tired now in their old age. I set the timers for about 3 hours of heating time before we "usually" start them in weather below 20 degrees. I find this makes them start sooo much easier! Try a GM original part! This might help.
Dave

catmandoo
12-06-2004, 06:12
if you can't plug it in why have one????