PDA

View Full Version : to 6.2 or not that is the ?

laidback383
12-03-2004, 17:56
i have a 88 new body style with a 6.2 188,000 i hear people talk about making good power with them i bought j code intake i want to in stall but im not real sure what to do with all the computer stuff i know a lot about gas motors and well i would hate to throw money ata dead horse it had 320psi in all 8 cylnders i have a friend with every thing i need to gas it but i get 20 mile to the gal. with the 6.2 with 700r4 and 3.73 gear four wheel drive help any and all sugestions would be great i have 2.50" duals on it now and done some work with the air cleaner set up i know what i can make a gas motor do but i also know that it will be a hog and whats with the price of diesel 2.21 a gal. here on the wi ill border

KEVIN MUNCASTER
12-03-2004, 18:23
No question, keep the 6.2. It will work great with a few mods, which you've already got a head start on. You'll never get the mileage with a gasser. Besides, gassers are like buttholes, everyone else either has one, or is one. lol ! tongue.gif

john8662
12-03-2004, 21:11
Originally posted by Northern Wrangler 6.2:
gassers are like buttholes, everyone else either has one, or is one. lol ! tongue.gif Looks like you're sold on diesels too. As mad as I am at my 6.5, I'll never convert to gas or buy another gasser. Glad someone else out there is obviously as obsessed with these type of engines as I am!

Brianlar
12-04-2004, 12:07
Make it three!!! I love my old van..I work on gassers all the time, even built my own v8 S10 pickup! I wouldn't trade the van for it now! :D
Keep the work up. You'll thank yourself later. The only caution I can offer, is to remember that these engines don't rev up as high as gassers do. Keep within the limits of design and safety, and you'll be surprised what you can get. Once you figure out where the air restrictions are, and how to add more fuel, you will see the true power you allready have. Good luck, let us know how it works..

dieselcrawler
12-04-2004, 13:45
I just swaped the restrictive C code intake on my '83 K-5 Blazer to the J intake, it made a fair ammount of diffrence. I also would keep the 6.2L, they seem to be great motors. I have been running mine for almost 2 years, and don't think I will go back to a gasser eather. I just got a turbo for my K-30 work truck, hope that wakes it up some also. Good luck with your truck...

Greg

catmandoo
12-04-2004, 16:25
i second third whatever,keep that 6.2 you want more power,check out ebay get ya the right side ex manifold for the 6.5 turbo,then buy ya a turbo,there is usually 5 or 6 on there at any one time.then all you need is the mandrel bent downpipe,and either have an exhaust shop make the rest or get something from kennedy etc.you will not believe the power you can make,you will wonder why you ever drove a gasser,plus the milage is super,diesel fuel may cost more but if it gives you 5 more miles to the gallon your money ahead.

garysleeman
12-04-2004, 17:55
I converted a 90 gasser to a 6.2 c and machined the egr out of the manifold for a poormans J intake. I tossed the computer and wired my 700r4 with a toggle switch as recomended in Dr. Lees' article on his 700r4 rebuild. The lock-up TC was a problem for me at first and I purchased a new lock-up kit from Bowtie Overdrives. When I installed the lock-up kit and tranny temp. gauge I realized my problem was the factory temp inhibit switch, my tranny rarely warmed up enough to close the switch. Hope this helped.