PDA

View Full Version : Good News and Bad News [Long]

britannic
01-28-2004, 16:40
First the bad news: my torque convertor locked up in all gears. When it finally freed up after 20 minutes, all the shifts worked and the TCC locked and unlocked. At idle in any gear though, it's sounds like it's mixing aggregate :mad: .

Good news is the tranny is still under warranty, so it's going to be completely rebuilt with a new 1200rpm stall convertor to replace the obviously failed one.

This event has hastened my Cummins conversion project, so now my CUCV 6.2L custom turbo engine needs a good home.

Since this engine runs so well with the current configuration, it would best be bought complete, but I will consider parting out the accessories and Banks kit.

I have a ton of great CUCV parts, check these out:

</font> TH400 c/w TC in good working order</font> NP208 T-Case for the TH400</font> TH400 to NP208 T-Case adaptor</font> Fresh rebuilt 700R4 with zero miles</font> 700R4 TCC</font> NP208 T-Case for the 700R4</font> 700R4 to NP208 T-Case adaptor</font> CUCV 6.2L engine with the following goodies:</font> CUCV Dual rebuilt (6000 miles only) 100A alternators with isolated grounds for 12/24v</font> New 60G glow plugs</font> Specially manufactured custom 24v Gear Reduction Starter Motor</font> New anti-drainback lift pump (2000 miles)</font> Accurate Diesel rebuilt DB2 with 4911 calibration with anti-drainback (6000 miles only)</font> 6.5LTD injectors (12000 miles only - not remanufactured either)</font> Custom Banks Sidewinder kit with MHI TE06H turbo, the turbo has been installed for only 6000 miles and was bought new (see sig for pictures)</font> Custom downpipe to connect Banks Monster exhaust to TE06H</font> Apart from the custom downpipe, the Banks exhaust system isn't being sold at this time</font> 700R4 linkage and control mounting assembly</font> 16 New OEM needle roller lifters were installed 12000 miles ago</font> DSG Dual Idler Timing Gears (6000 miles) :D </font> 6.5LTD FM100 fuel manager filtration system (no more FM80 drain cock leaks :D )</font> starter ring and flex plate installed at same time as custom starter</font> Rear seal replaced 6000 miles ago</font> New OEM Harmonic Balancer (6000 miles)</font> Oil filler to timing cover seal replaced 6000 miles ago</font> Oil changed every 3500 miles with Delo 400 15W/40</font> OEM High Flow 195F thermostat</font> Electric Oil pressure sender for guage (not CUCV idiot light switch)</font> Electric water temperature sender for gauge (not CUCV idiot light switch)</font> New CDR valve (7000 miles)</font> VRV Vacuum Regulator Valve</font> Since the Cummins uses spill port static timing setup these beauties are available as well:</font> MT480 Snap-on 6.2/6.5L Timing Meter (needs new magnetic probe</font> Rotunda 70-00100 digital 6.2/6.5L Timing Meter</font> I may have forgotten something, so feel free to ask</font>
It'll be like saying goodbye to an old and trusted friend, but I feel happier if these goodies stayed in the DP family - you guys are the best!

Email questions to my anti-spam address hughami@yahoo.com; you'll be sent my private one in reply

[ 01-28-2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

JeepSJ
01-28-2004, 17:15
You have mail.

Dieselboy
01-28-2004, 22:19
What a sad sad day, but all the same - good luck.

[ 01-29-2004, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Dieselboy ]

john8662
01-29-2004, 06:38
What, ditching the ol trusty 6.2 all because of a sour 700? I have a good friend of mine (diesel mechanic) that went through the cummins conversion, lots of modifications, especially getting the intercooler to work. Fortunatly, there are ways of making it work, like getting the cummins to TH400 adaptor (like the one used on the 4BT cummins in bread wagons). Just a shame to see another 6.2 taken off the road, I keep mine because I like the 6.2, not just the truck, a cummins belongs in a dodge (Don't Over Do Garbage Equipment). While I like the cummins, its far too noisy and it will be really noisy in a CUCV with no sound deadening material under the hood or in the cab. But in the end, its what you like. Heck you could get a cheap dodge of the older body style and have alot more to work with. My .02

arveetek
01-29-2004, 07:44
What a shame! I hate to see a fine running 6.2L replaced with a run of the mill Cummins! Sure, it can be hopped up more than the 6.2L, but how many strong running 6.2L's are there anyway?

Good luck!

Casey

G. Gearloose
01-29-2004, 10:35
Ditto, I'l miss all the stories of you blowing everyone away with a 6.2.

britannic
01-29-2004, 11:00
The transmission failure was only the catalyst, I was thinking of doing the conversion way back, when the engine seemed worn out - then I discovered the DP!

Everything you say is valid, but there are a few reasons why I would like to go over to a DI 6 cylinder, the main one was the amount of torque I can safely extract from the 6.2L:

</font> I'm looking to eventually make 800ft/lb of torque with 350HP plus</font> Easier access to the engine</font> Bullet proof bottom end</font> Direct Injection</font> The noise :D</font> I worked on the 10.0L LC250s in the UK and was always impressed with the engineering design and rugged construction</font> Converting to stick shift with a NV4500 and NP205, so bellhousing won't be an issue</font> Cummins engines aren't made by Dodge and even Chevy has used them in commercial vehicles</font>Here's a comparison of the connecting rods: http://www.fordcummins.com/images/rodcomparison.jpg

EWC
01-29-2004, 16:49
How much for the TEO6H ?

britannic
01-29-2004, 17:33
The dilemma is whether to part out the engine, or sell it as a complete concern on eBay. If I part it out, I'll sell the complete turbo kit c/w customized downpipe for the TE06H, minus the Banks Monster exhaust system.

I'll hang on for a bit to allow time for offers to roll in for the complete engine, before I put an auction on eBay.

[ 01-29-2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

john8662
01-29-2004, 17:57
Oh well, I understand how its time to move onto another project. Once you have done just about all you can do to one project its time to move on to the next best thing. New project, new things to learn about, thats what makes it fun, heck putting the cummins in will be alot of work and fun. good luck.

britannic
01-29-2004, 18:11
You hit the nail on the head John! I'm also aware of the limitations of the 6.2/6.5L and although I considered dropping in a Peninsular 300HP, my research on the Cummins tells me it will provide even more power without busting it's chops.

The Bosch P7100 inline inj. pump can provide up to 250mm3 at 1300bar and Bosch conservatively rates power output at about 74HP/cylinder. The Banks Cummins engined Dakota that puts out 1300ft/lbs of torque, uses a stock bottom end; World's Fastest Pickup Truck (Diesel) (http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder.cfm).

My P7100 will be injecting 105mm3/stroke or 630mm3 of fuel to all 6 cylinders in it's base configuration before I start incrementally tuning it.

Peter J. Bierman
01-30-2004, 13:29
You have my blessings,this is what it's all about doing neat things just for the fun off the project. :D
Cant wait to see you posts on how things are comming along.

Peter

britannic
01-30-2004, 14:55
Thank you Peter! They say imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery and I seriously considered copying your twin turbo setup. But like you, I like to blaze my own trail and there's only so many projects one can do in a lifetime - I must be having a mid-life crisis :D !!

mhagie
01-31-2004, 06:23
Britannic,Normaly I would say you are a Bad,Bad,Bad,boy for even considering this exchange, but when one looks at it through a purely engineering standpoint it makes a whole lot of sense.
You will have the best of both worlds,The cummins is second to none as a reliable engine that can make some serious power with a minimum amount of effort,the M1028 has perhaps the strongest chassis ever made in the pickup configuration.
IMHO there are only two instances where one can make the conversion you are starting and remain socially correct, that is the military version like yours and a crew cab other wise one might as well buy a gulp, choke, gag, dodge.
Have fun, enjoy, be the envy of your neighborhood you are doing the right thing for you :D ........Merle

TimK
01-31-2004, 13:58
Britannic,

You are not the only one interested in doing this. Please keep us informed on your conversion. Specifically resources for parts, adapters and resources. Since my truck broke the crank and center main bearing support, I have seriously considered also going with the Cummins. However, I was thinking of going with the 4BT. I am not looking for huge amounts of HP and Torque but I would be interested in better mileage with my Suburban. Since the 4BT is rated for use in vehicles up to 10,000 GVW, is not like I am going to be stressing the engine. I am figure I might be able to get up to 25 MPG with the 4BT in my truck.

As usual, it all comes down to money.

Good Luck with your adventure.

TimK

TimK

whatnot
02-01-2004, 13:33
Originally posted by TimK:
Britannic,

You are not the only one interested in doing this. Please keep us informed on your conversion. Specifically resources for parts, adapters and resources. Since my truck broke the crank and center main bearing support, I have seriously considered also going with the Cummins. However, I was thinking of going with the 4BT. I am not looking for huge amounts of HP and Torque but I would be interested in better mileage with my Suburban. Since the 4BT is rated for use in vehicles up to 10,000 GVW, is not like I am going to be stressing the engine. I am figure I might be able to get up to 25 MPG with the 4BT in my truck.

As usual, it all comes down to money.

Good Luck with your adventure.

TimK

TimK If you decide to do that, The Diesel Depot (avant salvage) has them on ebay all the time with a GM transmission attached.
I think I saw one go for around $1500 once.

Dieselboy
02-02-2004, 09:09
If money is no object (yeah right!), then you might like to just drop the milspec off here: http://piersdiesel.com/ How about a 12V, ported & polished & o-ringed, P7100, big-hoss injectors, HX40, and a heavy right foot?

Animal
02-03-2004, 01:07
Well "B" if your going to do it, here is some advice.

Get the 12V engine from a manual 96 - 98 (best pump), set the timing between 15 - 16 BTC, install the #10 fuel plate (330HP/750TQ).

This will be the cheapest way for max power on the least amount of money. For more power you'll have to upgrade the turbo and clutch to withstand more power. The above-mentioned upgrades cost about $250 if you do the work yourself, less if you shop around (EBay).

With these upgrades you can slip the clutch if you apply full throttle below 1600 - 1700 RPM with a heavy load and you

britannic
02-03-2004, 07:20
Animal, the engine is a Cummins 1995 with 40K on it, originally hooked up to an auto, so the injectors and pump are sized for less HP.

However, research shows, that 370HP marine 6 hole injectors, larger delivery valves and overflow valve, 3GSK, 60lb valve springs, plus your recommendations, should nicely light the furnace.

The Cummins 6B is to diesel what the SB 350 is to gassers. It's very economical to upgrade and responds to modest changes in a big way and is built to handle the power.

[quote]Originally posted by Animal:
[b] Well "B" if your going to do it, here is some advice.

Get the 12V engine from a manual 96 - 98 (best pump), set the timing between 15 - 16 BTC, install the #10 fuel plate (330HP/750TQ).

This will be the cheapest way for max power on the least amount of money. For more power you'll have to upgrade the turbo and clutch to withstand more power. The above-mentioned upgrades cost about $250 if you do the work yourself, less if you shop around (EBay).

With these upgrades you can slip the clutch if you apply full throttle below 1600 - 1700 RPM with a heavy load and you

arveetek
02-03-2004, 19:00
Originally posted by britannic:
The Cummins 6B is to diesel what the SB 350 is to gassers. Exactly my point! ;) There are tons and tons of 350's running around out there. There are so many that it's not even funny. There are so many that it doesn't really mean anything to have a 350 under the hood. Almost the same for Cummins! :D Okay, not quite, but still, you get my point! There are getting to be fewer 6.2L's all the time, not more! A hopped up 6.2L is very unique. A hopped up Cummins, while impressive, is not that unique. A hopped up Cummins in an old Chevy....okay, so that's not so bad! ;)

Just razzing ya a bit! Good luck with the project!

Casey

britannic
02-03-2004, 21:44
:cool: :D :D

I just didn't want to sacrifice my engine by taking it beyond it's design limits and of course cost was the other factor.

Originally posted by arveetek:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by britannic:
The Cummins 6B is to diesel what the SB 350 is to gassers. Exactly my point! ;) There are tons and tons of 350's running around out there. There are so many that it's not even funny. There are so many that it doesn't really mean anything to have a 350 under the hood. Almost the same for Cummins! :D Okay, not quite, but still, you get my point! There are getting to be fewer 6.2L's all the time, not more! A hopped up 6.2L is very unique. A hopped up Cummins, while impressive, is not that unique. A hopped up Cummins in an old Chevy....okay, so that's not so bad! ;)

Just razzing ya a bit! Good luck with the project!

Casey </font>[/QUOTE]

Peter J. Bierman
02-04-2004, 12:51
OK, so taking the 6.2 far beyond its design limits is up to me then.
Trust me this is in good hands :D

Peter

britannic
02-04-2004, 19:28
Originally posted by Peter J. Bierman:
OK, so taking the 6.2 far beyond its design limits is up to me then.
Trust me this is in good hands :D

Peter Can't wait to hear more. Besides The Clevite Kid has yet to unveil his secret project for this year :D :D smile.gif !!

britannic
02-05-2004, 17:07
The deed is afoot! I pick up my 1996 40,000 mile CTD in Salt Lake City next week. It'll be delivered on a pallet via a pick up truck, so I'd appreciate it if anyone knows of a place in or nearby SLC that has a forklift to do the transfer - TIA!!

NH2112
02-05-2004, 18:12
Just stop at a rental place in CA and get a manual pallet jack. They only weigh 100lbs or so and if you put a piece of plywood across the beds of the 2 trucks (backed tailgate to tailgate) you can lift the pallet and roll it right across.

britannic
02-05-2004, 18:27
Originally posted by NH2112:
Just stop at a rental place in CA and get a manual pallet jack. They only weigh 100lbs or so and if you put a piece of plywood across the beds of the 2 trucks (backed tailgate to tailgate) you can lift the pallet and roll it right across. Great suggestion!