PDA

View Full Version : paging britannic

Dezman125
01-26-2004, 12:59
Hi
I was admiring your turbo system.I would like to possibly copy it.I'm a hands on person,worked on cars and trucks since i was knee high.Havn't had much experiace in adding turbo systems to none turbo'ed engines.
Thanks

britannic
01-26-2004, 13:37
Check out my sig. for photos and ask whatever questions you want. Also DieselBoy has a similar set up, check his out at Oliver Diesel (http://www.oliverdiesel.com).

My basic recipe calls for:

</font> a 4911 calibrated for 70mm3 per stroke or more</font> 6.5LTD injectors</font> conservative timing (the more boost and fuel, the more retarded the timing, in my case 2.6* BTDC)</font> Banks turbo manifold</font> Banks Ford PS 7.3 MHI TE06H wastegated turbo</font> waste gate set for 12-15psi of boost</font> no baffle on core support air intake (this may not be necessary, but it does allow for ram air effect)</font> an intercooler (I've yet to fit mine, but this winter has proven the need for it in the summer)</font> Insulated crosspipe from driver's side bank</font>
I'm actually considering a more serious upgrade, since I have a chance of acquiring a (gasp, shock horror) Cummins 5.9 12V with P7100 pump.
It's a very tempting conversion for a number of reasons, not least of which is how easy it is to get over 300HP/650tq - just need the right gear box :D .

If I do go down this route, my existing CUCV engine will need a good home!

[ 01-26-2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

Peter J. Bierman
01-26-2004, 13:56
If you o there, I'll concidder the adoption of another CUCV engine and prommise to take good care of it ;)

Peter

Dieselboy
01-26-2004, 17:24
Brittanic,
If you looking at a 12V Cummins, think about the 6.34:1 first gear of an NV4500. Crawl!!!

CleviteKid
01-26-2004, 17:28
Dieselboy is winning the "Cool Avatar ! !" contest.

Dr. Lee :cool:

britannic
01-26-2004, 17:45
Originally posted by Dieselboy:
Brittanic,
If you looking at a 12V Cummins, think about the 6.34:1 first gear of an NV4500. Crawl!!! I'm definitely considering it if my proposed "bombed" Cummins conversion exceeds the 650ft/lbs limit of my custom 700R4. Although I do like to be able to rock the truck out of snow and mud, which is a lot more difficult on a stick shift. I may need to look at Allison, or some other suitably strengthened auto.

And, yes, that is a very cool avatar!

Dezman125
01-26-2004, 22:53
Hi britannic
Thanks for the reply.I havn't driven my truck yet,but am looking forward to playing with apgrades for it.
A few Questions
I have an ATS manifold,and have access to some 6.5TD ones,would either of those work?
What is the original aplication of your turbo? Any shops i'v talked to always want that info.
I have found a intercooler for a cummins truck,it sounds like it will fit nice in the older style body,about 47"x17" overall.Would it be about the right size?
Aprecate the advice,not much stuff to look at hands on around here,i find most my stuff by phone.
Thanks

britannic
01-27-2004, 07:17
Originally posted by Yukon 6.2:
Hi britannic
Thanks for the reply.I havn't driven my truck yet,but am looking forward to playing with apgrades for it.
A few Questions
I have an ATS manifold,and have access to some 6.5TD ones,would either of those work?
What is the original aplication of your turbo? Any shops i'v talked to always want that info.
I have found a intercooler for a cummins truck,it sounds like it will fit nice in the older style body,about 47"x17" overall.Would it be about the right size?
Aprecate the advice,not much stuff to look at hands on around here,i find most my stuff by phone.
Thanks I'm not sure about the ATS manifold, but I know for a fact that the Banks MHI TE06H and T04B will bolt up to the GM turbo manifold.

The TE06H turbo was used by Banks on the Sidewinder kits for the 6.9/7.3L Ford Powerstrokes.

The cummins manifold should be a good match, they're designed to flow 20psi+ from a holset into a 17.5:1cr 5.9 engine. Shoehorning the intercooler will be more challenging, but creativity and time are key factors :D .

grape
01-27-2004, 08:50
I wish i was smart enough or had enough time to post pictures of my powerstroke intercooler. It fits with ALOT of cutting and welding.

Dezman125
01-27-2004, 23:53
Next guestions.
Do'es your turbo have any other numbers on it? I have the banks part #24010.
What is a rebuilt one worth in your neck of the woods? Core?
Thanks again

britannic
01-28-2004, 07:43
FYI: The early Dodge intercooler is a good one to fit as it's not too wide.

You have the right p/n on the TE06H. I bought a brand new one off eBay for $400.00 and DieselBoy got his even cheaper. Try a WantAd on eBay, there may be some orphaned turbos from Banks Ford kits out there - that where mine came from.