PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO 19.2 MPG

4x4Dreamer
12-01-2004, 06:38
I pulled 19.2 MPG out of my last tank. Up from 13 prior to replacing the IP and injectors. New Radiator, thermostat combo keep temps around 150 (too low?) and new belts helped too. I'm a happy guy. I'm shooting for the magic 20 MPG, but I just fixed a leaky overflow cap on the passenger side, so that might make the difference.
Just wanted to celebrate.

gavio
12-01-2004, 10:03
That quote (or unquote) in your signature is hysterical :D

Congrats on the mileage improvement, too, by the way.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
12-01-2004, 11:04
the 6.2 might not shove you back in your seat, but drive a V8 gasser, and you'll get a shove in the seat at the gas pump !

I get 24-26 mpg (Canuck) with my 6.2 in warm weather, my Ford 5.4 F150 gets 13-15 ! Ouch ! :rolleyes:

4x4Dreamer
12-01-2004, 11:33
It's a bonus for me. My motorcycle got stolen so I HAD to get the truck running. So I did for my 40 mile drive to work. It helps me justify the truck (besides the OBVIOUS reasons) fuel wise. And it's fun to tell everyone my big old beast gets almost 20.
I hope I can get 20 easily. Once that's done, I can go the other direction and pump out 400 lb/FT and light the tires.

Peter J. Bierman
12-01-2004, 14:04
If your engine temperature realy is 150 F, it is too low.
Milage will improve on a hotter engine like 190 to 200 F.
My guess is that the gauge is off a bit.
Check that, couse too low temp can be bad for the engine.

Peter

4x4Dreamer
12-01-2004, 14:27
I was worried about that. I am probably going to pick up another temp gauge and see how that works. I originally bought a 180 robertshaw to put in my truck, but then I had to get a new radiator. So I'm thinking it might be too damn efficient now, go figure. Seems to run okay though. Only thing I'm not sure of is the timing, but I don't get any black smoke unless I really get on it. I have a friend who used to be an Olds mechanic and he worked a few 6.2's and says mine sounds pretty good. someday I should get a timing gauge.

Peter J. Bierman
12-02-2004, 13:55
A 180 T-stat shoud keep the engine warm to at least 180 deg.
I suspect the gauge or you are not getting enough fuel but you should notice in the low power output.
Try to verify the gauge and take it from there

Peter

rumpity_z28
12-02-2004, 18:09
wow new pump and injectors made that big of a difference.anything special about em or are they factory stock replacements?
My pump has 120,000kms on it now but the injectors im unsure about might be the originals which would mean they have 411,000kms might be why my mileage doesnt seem to good.

4x4Dreamer
12-03-2004, 05:00
They are rebuilt unites from Cleaninjectors.com. Talk to Tim, he is the MAN!!!!! I have no idea how many times my odo has rolled by my old pump took a crap. So I figured I might as well replace it all. He also made me a good deal on my new intake manifold, which I replaced with the pump.
I seem to have a fair amount of power. I'm not sure my truck has ever run right, so I don't know what I'm supposed to have and I have nothing to compare it to. It does what I tell it to, only smokes a lot when I floor it. The gauge comes up slowly, but it sits either right at, or a little above the mark between 100 and 200 on the temp gauge. Even idling on a hot FL day for 20 minutes. I figured the therm woudl keep it at 180 or close to it (like it's supposed to) which is why I'm assuming the gauge is off.
I may have to drop the $$ to take it to a shop to get timed and checked over. I hate spending $$ on stuff I should be able to do myself.