PDA

View Full Version : Things to swap a turbo 6.2L into

dieselcrawler
01-24-2004, 20:25
See my sig for the picture, it's the last one in the album... took it out cause it was so darn BIG...

Here's the idea... Take my '69 IH Hi-Ranger
bucket truck, yank out the ol' 345ci gas motor,
drop in a turbo'd 6.2L diesel. At 18,000 lbs,
this truck needs all the tork it can get, and
you really gotta make the 345 scream to get this
hunk of metal to move. I think I'd have to come
up with a new trans also, one that still has the
provision for the PTO drive. The trans that's in
it is almost shot, so one that matched the 6.2L
would be the easy way out. Don't the SM465's
have the removable side plate that would allow
the PTO drive to bolt on?

This project is still in the 'think about it'
stages, so let me know of any ideas any of you
might have....

Greg

[ 01-25-2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: DieselCrawler ]

84 Convert
01-24-2004, 22:08
Hi Greg, I'm Gregg!
In answer to the ? about the PTO cover, yes there is one on the SM465. I do not know, however, if your PTO will match it. I think the cover on the '465 looks similar to that on my NP205. I would think that PTO boxes would be rather standard. If measurements will help on this, I have one I can get them off of.

Gregg

Craig M
01-24-2004, 22:48
At 18,000# the 6.2 will not make for a great motor for your IHC. How about a Cat 3208 with 800 #' of torque! I love the 6.2 in my Suburban, great mileage and reliable, but would not feel very good with it in a 18,000# vehicle.

DmaxMaverick
01-24-2004, 23:12
The turbo'd 6.2 should run circles around the original 345. Not to mention fuel consumption.

The rig you have probably has a 5.30 rear end ratio. Doesn't get anywhere fast, but gets there. Add the granny low tranny, and you won't have any issues with power. Just speed. The red line on the 345 (IIRC) is pretty close to the 6.2.

A 3208 or Cummins would be a better choice, but at considerable cost. Both start up and maintenance.

C.K. Piquup
01-25-2004, 06:29
If anyone knows where I can buy a 6.2w/BanksSidewinder for cheap,let me know.But don`t tell me on the Forum.I`m sure there are many more that would like to beat me to it.If the truck runs,I`d leave it alone.If you just want a project,find a med.duty diesel engine/trans.I`m sure you could find a Cornbinder.

NH2112
01-25-2004, 07:36
Maybe a bigger IH (gasp) gasser like the 404 or 446 (bases for the indirect-injected 6.9L and 7.3L diesels) would be a good idea? A friend had a 70ish Loadstar 1820 (I think) with a 345 and while it was slow, nothing could stop it. One look at the bottom end on a 304, 345, or 392 and you know why they go to 300K or more! The IH V8s are a lot like the 6.2L in that you can't judge them by their modest numbers, because the seat-of-the-pants feel is totally different. My old Scout II had a 304, close-ratio T19, and 4.09s turning 33" Swampers, but would drag small-block Chevys around the mud pit all day long. I'd actually bet the 345 moves that truck almost as well as a turbo 6.2L would. In any case, a truck like that, with a huge engine bay, sounds like a lot of fun as a project.

C.K. Piquup
01-25-2004, 09:50
Yeah,that`s what I`m saying.A friend put a "BIG CAT"diesel in his`60 REO Gold Comet.It`s a Hiway-worthy rig now.

dieselcrawler
01-25-2004, 19:33
Hey all:
Hmmm... lots of minds workin' out there... **grin**
I want to stick with a GM motor if I do any swapin' at all... Guess I'm just a bowtie fan. (A powerstroke would be the natural choice, as it's an IH) Thought of a 454 gasser, but now that I've been runnin' the 6.2L in my "play" truck, I've gotten bitten by the diesel bug, and want to try a turbo'd 6.2L in the ol' bucket truck. Yeah, the 6.2L might be a little small by some standards, but then, so is the 345, if it's not a 304. (I was talkin' to my dad, he said that he thinks it's a 304, not the 345. I'll crawl under the hood and check) One way or the other, I think that the diesel would move it a little better, and even if it didn't, it would at least SOUND like a big truck! (diesel rattle! gotta love it!) One of the things I have to take into concideration is the fact that this truck tends to sit and idle for hours when it's used, and only rev'ed up once in a while as needed to boost the hyd. sys when needed. I think a diesel would be better suited to that than say, a 454. As it is now, it seems that we are adjusting the carb or points every other time we use it.
One thing I have thought of is the brake sys. It now uses a large vacuum booster, and I don't know how to get around that. If a hydro boost sys can be swaped, ok, but I don't know how they work well enough to know what would need done to swap it in, and make it mate to the stuff that is there, and needs to stay. But, hey, that's why I'm bouncin' all this off of you all! Or maybe just sharin' my daydreams.... **grin**
Greg