PDA

View Full Version : Banks or Not

snoman87
11-29-2004, 07:43
Can anyone tell me if this is a Banks Turbo intake or not?

http://www3.telus.net/dkirkup/Turbo.JPG

john8662
11-29-2004, 08:08
Nope, thats an ATS turbo pressure intake. I've got one just like it sitting on the shop floor waiting to go on my 86 pickup.

snoman87
11-29-2004, 08:24
ATS doesn't keep specs or documentation on this old product ... what can you tell me about it, anything?

[ 11-29-2004, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: snoman87 ]

john8662
11-29-2004, 13:12
What all do you have from the setup? Do you just have the intake?

If you have the intake, you can use this if you're putting together a turbo kit. Using this intake plenum allows you to use a factory air cleaner housing with your turbo. The banks pressure chamber that sits on thet top of the intake manifold still uses another external air cleaner housing.

The bigger tube is filtered air into the turbocharger, the smaller tube is pressure from the turbo into the intake runners. Its got a small intake tube from the turbo, but its the exact same size as the banks tubing on their turbo's.

Both kits performed about the same, and used very similar turbo chargers, just different exhaust housings on the turbo. The exhaust manifolds and other attachments were drastically different though.

snoman87
11-29-2004, 13:29
Cool ... Thank for the update.

I have the complete system (Turbo, Turbo intake, exhaust cross over pipe, pass. exhaust manifolds various clamps and hoses, turbo oil line, pass. valve cover). The only things I need to get are some hoses that goes from the turbo to the intake and a adapter for some oil pressure. Shouldn't be too hard source out.

Then it's just the matter of exhaust pipe. 3" in the minimal diameter coming off the exhaust manifold ... should I go bigger to compensate for normally bent tubing. Mandell bend tube is way out of my proce range. What about a muffler ... the guy I bout it from said don't install one at all.

john8662
11-29-2004, 14:25
I am basically in the same boat as you, a complete (mostly) ATS turbo setup.

For the oil feed line I am going to use the line and fittings from a Banks kit. I didn't like what I got with my used kit, its was a short rubber line with ends on it that attached to where the oil pressure sending unit is (with a T). I am going to use the Banks line that taps pressure from a port by the oil cooler lines and oil filter that is currently plugged with a pipe plug. Its a long steel braided line that runs accross the engine. I'll probably have to get some brass fittings to adapt to the turbo, but small details.

For the hoses on the turbo you can get them at some turbo shops or search the internet for a source for silicon hoses.

The cool thing about th ATS kit is that the turbo oil drain is connected directly to the valve cover (make sure you got the fitting that goes in the valve cover). The Banks kit uses the fuel lift pump location for oil draining, makes that location really tight.

Exhaust, I am really really pondering this one. It comes off the manifold at 3". I am probably going to find someone to build a 3.5" system. I think that a magnaflow muffler in 3.5" size would be a good straight through design, I don't know how well it would muffle the noise though. I am stuck at the exhaut part though, I don't have any shops in my area that do mandrel bending. I'd pay for it (as long as its under 400) for making the system, but no one here does it.

Anyone know of any exhaust shops in Texas (DFW, Austin, TX area) that does mandrel bending?

snoman87
11-29-2004, 14:40
We will have to keep each other updated. I am probably going to install mine using the current "C" intake ... this will reduce the amount of work, I am also thinking of a straight 3" tube down to the frame and leave it there. The Jimmy is just my donar vehicle ... when I get the engine running good and turbo installed I am transplaning it to my 86' 1Ton crew cab 4x4 where is will spend the remainder if it's life :D

I got the oiler line and connectors if you want to see them let me know and I will snap some pics.

Got thinking last night that this setup was definately not made to be inter cooled what it!!!

[ 11-30-2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: snoman87 ]

snoman87
12-03-2004, 06:35
john8662 ... do you know what the small hose off the bottom of the 3" part of the pressure intake might be. It's the one that's coming down and the make a 90* trun. Can't figure it out

arveetek
12-04-2004, 08:22
That smaller port is for the CDR hose. The CDR is that large, tuna can shaped thing on the front of the engine that is similar to the PCV system on the gassers. It allows the crankcase pressure and fumes to be sucked back into the engine and burned again.

On the stock n/a setup, the hose goes from the CDR to a port on the side of the intake manifold. On the C code and some J code engines, there's a port on each side of the manifold. On the single plane J code intakes, there's just one port.

You have to relocate the CDR fitting because after the turbo is installed, the intake manifold becomes pressurized. This would force air back into the crankcase, causing some major headaches, with oil being blown out of every possible orifice. The fitting on your ATS intake is on the "suction" side of the turbo, so the air is being drawn into the turbo before it pressurizes the lower intake manifold. This will allow proper operation of the CDR system.

If you use your current intake manifold, you'll need to block off the port(s) so that the air won't leak out. If you look in the picture above, the manifold bolted to the air chamber already has the port on this side blocked off.

Casey