PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Brake Booster Rebuild

befland
01-19-2004, 15:48
Does anybody know where I can get information on what I need to do to rebuild the hydraulic brake booster on the 80's model trucks? I have the rebuild kit (cost $40...what a rip off!!) but when I started taking the booster apart there did not look like an easy way to pull the rod through the housing. A friend of mine that has rebuilt them in the past said that he had to cut the rod and re-weld it.

TIA, Bill

mirage
01-19-2004, 17:23
Originally posted by Bill Efland:
Does anybody know where I can get information on what I need to do to rebuild the hydraulic brake booster on the 80's model trucks? I have the rebuild kit (cost $40...what a rip off!!) but when I started taking the booster apart there did not look like an easy way to pull the rod through the housing. A friend of mine that has rebuilt them in the past said that he had to cut the rod and re-weld it.

TIA, Bill I looked through my books and couldn't find a thing.

Where did you find a rebuild kit? I've tried the dealer and several local parts shops, all of them say they don't know what I'm talking about. Have any part numbers or anything?

Thanks

Mirage

mhagie
01-19-2004, 18:41
Bad news, I looked at my 85 GMC shop manual and it says to saw off eyelet on pedal rod.
It also says new pedal rod is in kit which It sounds like you didn't get :mad:
Thats the exact reason why I bought a reman unit at Auto Zone I paid more of course but it fit, it worked, and everything was there, and actually was a piece of cake to replace, Sorry..........Merle

befland
01-20-2004, 12:47
The GM# is 0046-5226. If you don't have this number then it's tough to find! (Thanks to Harvey Cannon for supplying this P/N!!)

I really don't mind sawing off the eyelet and rewelding...I just wanted to make sure that this was the recommended procedure. The thing that does bother me was the price of the kit. There's only 3 or 4 seals and two small brass fittings...and the dang thing was $40!! Even the parts guy couldn't believe it when he saw it (but of course he didn't drop the price any!). I looked online for this number (worldsearch, partsdirect, etc) but they do not list it. I could only get it by calling the dealer.

As far as buying an aftermarket...I have 2 of these units sitting around. I figured I would give rebuilding a try and see how it turns out. If it leaks, I figure I'll be out of about a day's work and 40 bucks. :)

Billy E.

befland
02-03-2004, 11:31
UPDATE!
FYI,
The P/N I listed before is ONLY for a 2500/3500 series truck. (the pedal rod seal is larger) The P/N for the 1/2 ton seal kit is: 22506440 ($25)
Even though I only needed the pedal rod seal I went ahead and ordered it because I cannot find this seal ANYWHERE! The p/n for just the seal is, 476026 but GM no longer sells it by itself. It looks like it's 3/8 ID and 5/8 OD (cup seal).
SOOOOO...if anyone needs a kit for a 3/4 ton let me know! I'll sell you one at a deal!

Bill E.

gmc64sub
02-03-2004, 21:04
Just curious- What is the symptom that requires a rebuild of the hydroboost? I'm asking because i just installed a used one in a Suiburban conversion I'm doing. The donor truck had a vibration of the brake pedal. Richard

befland
02-04-2004, 14:26
In my case, it's leaking between the booster and the firewall.

Bill

Ratau
02-05-2004, 00:00
Bill
Thanks for your e-mail and the files.

Danie

mirage
02-06-2004, 13:07
Thanks for the info! I've got a 1/2 ton and it has been leaking from the hydroboost since I bought it. I'll have to pick up a rebuild kit and get to work!

:)