PDA

View Full Version : Specs for tranny fliuid?

shamanie
11-21-2004, 19:16
What are the specifications for the tranny fluid we are supposed to use? How much, typically, should be used?

More specifically, I see dexron and mercon V ratings on the bottles, and well, what the hell does that mean exactly?

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

smcghan
11-21-2004, 19:36
Shamanie,

Dexron of any # is for GM. Mercon (used to be type F) is for fords. Now a lot of the diff. makes use the dex/mercon mix. In the early 80's just plain dexron will work.

Steven

shamanie
11-21-2004, 19:43
Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea on how much I should buy to accomodate my 700r4?

DmaxMaverick
11-21-2004, 19:44
You should be using Dexron III. Your owner's manual will specify Dexron II due to its age. Dexron III is the current Dexron specification.

Mercon is specified for Ford vehicles. Don't use it in any GM tranny.

Many fluids today are specified for Chrysler, Mercon and Dexron in the same bottle. I'm not sure how they come about that, and won't use any like that. I use synthetic, anyway.

You should also be using Dexron III in the transfer case, if you have one.

How much depends on your vehicle and equipment/accesories. Add whatever it takes to get the level to the full mark when hot, engine running, in park, on a level surface. Don't over/under fill. The transfer case should be filled to the level of the fill hole, just like the rear end.

zark123
12-30-2004, 17:05
switch to synthetics I have been using amsoil in my 86/C30 2whldr//87/K3500--also in transfer case,been doing this since 1991/also use synthetic engine in both of the trucks which are 6.2dsl.87--407090 miles.Also switched over my 97K2500 to synthetic both motor and trans/trcase.Also all rears use synthetic. The added cost is worth it!!!!!!! It really does pay for it self in the long run ;) ;)