PDA

View Full Version : Which tranny to rebuild?

nathan71
11-18-2004, 16:30
I know my 700R4 behind my 6.2 is sick, so before I do any engine mods, I figured I'd stiffen up the transmission first. Question: Is there a difference between a gas 700R4 and a diesel 700R4 (other than the TC)? I've had an '86 1/2 ton gasser with a 700R4 and np208 t-case for several years that seemed very strong (wrecked the truck, kept for parts) which is the same set up in my '87 3/4. To me it makes sense, that if they are interchangeable to rebuild the one from the gasser and install it when I rebuild my 6.2. Any opinions?

Thanks.

dieselcrawler
11-18-2004, 22:16
I would also like to know what thoes of you out there would think... I have a 700R4 out of my blazer I'd like to put in my dually, but I run around with 8500lbs of truck every day, with the utility bed and tools... I need the over drive and lower first gear of the R4, but don't want to put in a trans that won't last. I do some towing, namely the blazer on a trailer (8,000lbs or more) once in a while, and a 12' box trailer (about 2,500 lbs) some times. I also am getting closer to being able to get a turbo together for this truck. Britannic had one in his truck, as does Casey... what have you done to yours to make them last?

Thanks... Greg