PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic timing data ?

MaxEgli
11-16-2005, 07:47
After installing a DSG dual idler gear on a 1983 6,2L with Banks Turbo, there is very strong rattle compared to the chain configuration. All the marks are set as prescribed (opened front twice, to verify). Turning the Pump to "late" makes little difference (up to 3mm offset passenger side). I now want to check timing setting with running engine, but can't find any reference data (RPM, degrees before or after TDC). Any source for specifications?
Thanks for help, Max.

More Power
11-17-2005, 18:28
Installation of a gear driven timing set usually produces a more crisp combustion rattle, and many installers need to retard the injection timing about 3-5 degrees to produce a somewhat normal sounding engine.

1mm rotation of the pump at the front flange equals about 2 degrees. 1/16" rotation equals about 3 degrees.

Timing specs for the 6.2L/DB2 fuel injection pump are: 3-1/2 degrees BTDC (before top dead center) at 700 rpm and with the engine at/near operating temperature (no HPCA). These specs are when using a Stanadyne Time-Trac timing meter. This meter uses a sensor clamped onto the #1 fuel injector line and an optical probe inserted into the timing index plate over the damper.

Jim

MaxEgli
11-24-2005, 09:17
Thanks Jim,
In the meantime, I got values from Stanadyne, also for the Time-Trac Meter. Their Project Engineer states for my application (1983 6,2L, Banks Turbo, DSG Timing Gear): Offset 9,5