PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Injector Line

bmiszuk
11-14-2005, 18:34
I just resealed my valve covers. In doing so, I had the intake manifold and all the injector lines off. I just got it all back together, got all the air out of the system and started it. It runs lousy. While it's running I can see an injector line fitting leaking at the IP. :( I obviously didn't get one tight enough. It's one of the lines on the bottom of the pump.

If I get a set of crowsfoot wrenches, can I reach through from the rear of the engine under the intake manifold and tighten the leaking fitting? Or do I have to pull the intake manifold and go from the top?

Subzilla
11-15-2005, 06:13
You'll have to take the intake off. The fittings are slightly angled out from the center of the pump, so it would probably be near impossible to get any tool on the fittings with the intake in place. I found the best sequence to prevent leakage is to first tighten the fittings at the pump, then connect and tighten the fittings at the injectors. This will let those pump line fittings seat with proper alignment. Then, you can man-handle the injector fittings.

john8662
11-15-2005, 06:18
I've tightened the bottom lines with the intake in place, but it's really quite fun.

The problem with your rig is that you've got the secondary fuel filter mounted on the back of the intake. This filter pretty much blocks any kind of wrench and extension with a crow foot mounted on it from getting in there.

I concur, remove the intake, it's much better than removing the fuel filter housing from the lines, etc.

bmiszuk
11-15-2005, 07:08
I don't have a fuel filter mounted back there. Someone removed it and replaced it with an aftermarket filter mounted on the fender. So there's plenty of room.

Yeah Mark, I did tighten the IP fittings first then the injector fittings. My guess is that either I just forgot one of them (careless) or my open-end wrench was binding on the neighboring fitting so I thought it was tight when in fact the wrench was just bound up.

I might run over to Harbor Freight and see if they have a cheap crowsfoot set and try to reach the fitting from the rear. But I have a feeling I'll end up pulling the intake again.

john8662
11-15-2005, 07:53
If you've got the room to get your hands in there, then go for it.

I use a "wobble" extension and a crows foot, this helps me get the crows foot on the line easier, but a regular extension works also. I use a 3/8" extension that is 12" long and a 3/8 rachet.

Sears has a crows foot set that has the necessary sizes. The size you need is 5/8. I'd skip the Harbor freight routine, and get something made in the USA, like a Crasftman.

bmiszuk
11-17-2005, 19:43
I ended up pulling the intake manifold after about ten minutes of trying to work around it. It was less aggravating to simply remove it, and an air ratchet helped it come off quickly.

The line was entirely loose. Somehow I totally forgot to tighten it. I guess that's what happens when you're in too much of a hurry.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

doncannon
11-19-2005, 14:56
hey all,

bmiszuk dont fret we have all been there...to much of a hurry and had to do thing(s) again. I had to pull my intake again and retorque (loads of fun..only took 15-20 min) but it was better then spending a couple of hours trying to get around it only to find out you have to pull it anyway. Now its fixed and your on the road again. right?
Don