PDA

View Full Version : cover radiator?

mhagie
11-10-2005, 04:54
At what temp do you guys have to cover radiator?
30* Outside this AM and it took almost 30 miles to get 190*
and as soon as I pulled into town it droped to 180.
this is on old blue
Stat is a RS 195* not very old.
Thoughts?
Merle

G. Gearloose
11-10-2005, 06:14
The 6.2 always pulls cold water from the lower radiator hose to replace the water is sends through the heater core, and exits to the 3/4" nipple in the radiator tank.

For better heat-up and heat retention, plug the radiator nipple with a segment of 3/4" hose and a plug, the redirect the core return to the pipe plug on the water pump with a barb fitting.

This keeps heat in the engine and the thermostat will open when neccessary to modulate temps.

If you were working the truck hard, I might hesitate; but if you were working it hard, then you wouldn't have a heat problem...

arveetek
11-10-2005, 10:22
Do you have the stock cooling system, or the dual t/stat upgrades?

My truck will get up to normal operating temp within 5 miles, and will stay there until I shut it off. This holds true for about any temperature. I usually don't cover the radiator unless it gets really cold, like in the teens, and stays there. I didn't cover the radiator at all last winter.

I would suspect a stuck thermostat myself. No more than you drive it, the thermostat probably hasn't been operated much!

Casey

mhagie
11-10-2005, 12:22
I have been driving ol blue for about the last week just to give it some exercise and temps have been good untill last night when I pull into town the temp dropped to 180 wondered then what was up.
Will go to Auto Zone tonight for a replacement.
Still running the original housing as I haven't done the cover welding to convert to the dual stat.
Merle