PDA

View Full Version : "K" Liner valve guides?

Ratau
11-07-2005, 23:12
One off the heads that I had rebuild was worn at the valve guides and because spare heads are not freely available in South Africa the valve guides was reamed and lined with "K" liners.

Does anyone here on the forum had experience with the "K " liners? What I understand is that it's been used a lot in the big truck engines like Cummins and others.

JeepSJ
11-08-2005, 08:45
They may be talking about K-Line liners. K-Line is a brand, and from my experience they make quality stuff. The kits we used for gassers had a thin bronze liner. You basically reamed the stock guide, and inserted the liner with a special tool, then hone them to the proper size. They also have replacement cast guides and thick wall bronze guides. I would have no problem running any of their products in my engines. In fact, I used K-Line's kit for installing the sleeves in my cooling passages.

Ratau
11-08-2005, 21:35
JeepSJ

They used the thin ones. I saw they almost swage it into place, Hope they last.

Initially another shop wanted to cut the guides out and press fit cast iron in. One must remember then you could cut into the water channels and thats not what you want.

JeepSJ
11-09-2005, 13:58
Danie,

Sounds like they did it right. They will last longer than the stock cast iron guides.

More Power
11-10-2005, 10:38
The 6.5TD Project (http://www.thedieselpage.com/finale.htm) cylinder heads are running valve guide liners like what you're describing. No problem in 180,000 miles... smile.gif

Jim

Ratau
11-10-2005, 20:29
Thanks for your comments it seem I did at least one thing right.