PDA

View Full Version : oil pan removal

odee
10-11-2005, 16:57
Will the pan come off of the 6.2 2wd trucks of the 82 and up vintage? I have got a leak on the front of mine and believe now that it is coming out where the pan,block and timing cover meet.

john8662
10-11-2005, 17:22
The place you describe can be a source for leaks, but it's not the common place. Usually it's the front main seal, and it makes a big mess on the front of the engine.

But to answer your question. Yes, you can remove the pan from the engine with it installed. I've done it in my 2WD truck before.

Basically you'll need an engine hoist, you will remove the two large bolts that secure the engine to the mounts, then attach the hoist and lift the engine up about 2 inches. You will then have the clearace you'll need to get the pan off the engine.

odee
10-12-2005, 02:39
thanks, I pulled the balancer about a week ago to put a new seal in with a sleeve on the balancer. Now I have a leak worse than when I started. I was hoping that I could pull the pan without lifting the engine off the mounts. The bolts in mine are a pain. Any front seal better than the others? I used felpro parts both times? Best to just silicon the pan or use a gasket?

john8662
10-12-2005, 09:40
You'll just need RTV for the pan. The key to keeping it leak free is making sure that both sealing surfaces are truely clean. This can mean taking brake parts cleaner on a rag and cleaning the oil off the block and the pan.

arveetek
10-12-2005, 12:50
Ditto what John has said.

Forget the pan gasket, just use Silicone sealant.

There's not enough room for the pan to drop down and away from the engine on the 2WD models, due to the very large cross-member. You'll have to hoist the engine up just a little to get the pan all the way off.

On 4WD models, it's a piece of cake, it comes right off. If necessary, you can jack the front end of the truck up to allow the axle to drop down, giving you more clearance.

Casey