PDA

View Full Version : Back Together - ran fine then quit - no restart......

gavio
10-11-2005, 16:56
Well, I finally got my van back together, after like 2 months of head gaskets, waterpump, timing chain, etc (I've been sick a lot of that time, so it's been slow)....

Filled it all up with fluids, cleared the air out of it and it started just as I expected :D

It settled down and ran smoothly while I backed it out of my studio and maneuvered it around my driveway smile.gif

Idled fine (still some lifter noise, dammit, but otherwise good) for a couple minutes while I began inspecting for leaks smile.gif

And then ever-so-gracefully quit :(

No warning, no caughing or hesitating, no stumble, smoke, or unusual noises......just quit as if the key had been turned off......and would not restart :mad:

I thought maybe it had gobbled a big bubble of residual air and went extensively through the unairlocking procedure and got nothing - it doesn't even try to fire. It isn't seized as it turns over fine, the lift pump (electric) is delivering a steady stream of air-free fuel, power is good to the shutoff solenoid and I SEEM to be getting fuel at the injectors (I say SEEM because when they have been freshly bled, it can be tough to tell if you're really getting fresh fuel out there, or residual fuel from the last time, but it seems like a fresh flow).

Any ideas?

john8662
10-11-2005, 17:28
Sounds like what Dads ol 6.2 van did to me after changing the fuel filters, and then again when changing the lift up a week after that because it had died.

I was able to just crank on the engine for 2 longer starts, and it came to life.

I'll bet you got some more air in the injection pump.

When you're checking the fuel cutoff solenoid leave the ignition switch on and then disconnect and then re-connect the wire and listen for the "click".

I know this is going to sound dumb, but also make sure that the correct wire is on the shut off solenoid, I've seen people connect the green fast idle cold advance wire to the solenoid. The thing is, the engine will run until the switch in the head opens and then it dies (like when the fast idle shuts off). Something to check..

gavio
10-11-2005, 17:59
Well, John, thanks for the input.....

Interestingly enough, it did quit right about when the temp crept up over 100 degrees (i.e. when it started to register on the gauge) so that does give me pause to consider......

Funny thing happened when I was checking to see if all was connected correctly (before starting it the first time) the insulating cover fell of the shutoff solenoid wire (the pink one) and dissappeared from view so I just put the terminal on without the insulator. Could there be some kind of feedback thing? I dunno......

Or, could it have something to do with the sensor? I assume this is the one over on the back of the right side - it has a green wire and a pink one attached to it - would it matter if they were reversed? I've had them apart before and got them together with no problem, but.......

I dunno, any other things to look for?

I will, of course, treat it for airlock yet again, once I get the batteries recharged, but that really doesn't seem to be the problem here.......

Anybody else?

gavio
10-12-2005, 15:43
Hey, John, you had it nailed.....

Embarrassingly enough, I did actually have the wires reversed between the solenoids on the IP. It's so bizarre 'cuz I've had those wires off and back on at least a dozen times since I've had this van and never had trouble getting them back on right. That's what fatigue'll do to ya!

Thanks again - the van seems good, now.

britannic
10-12-2005, 17:51
Don't be embarassed, I did the exact same thing in the first few months of ownership, but the good Doctor Lee very kindly and tactfully guided me in the right direction.

john8662
10-13-2005, 05:02
Glad you got er going!