PDA

View Full Version : CUCV

Favre Fan
10-05-2005, 04:35
I am in the process of purchasing a 1985 M1009 CUCV with (of course) a 6.2L. One of the first things on my list is A/C as it gets a little hot here in ABQ in the summer. To do this I will need to convert it to 12v to make room for the compressor. I was thinking of converting it to 12v anyways since the parts are easier (cheaper) to find and you can purchase alternators that are just a powerful, if not more so, than the two together it originally came with. Can anyone shed any light on what exactly is required for this conversion? Also what are some of the first mods you would recommend, keeping in mind my first priority is reliability followed closely by fuel economy. Stud girdles?...timing gearset?...injector pump?...injectors?

Daan
10-05-2005, 07:01
This is what you are looking for:

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

I'd make sure the fuel system is in healthy condition (no 'peeing' injectors, leaky connections, right timing etc.).
Then when the time comes to replace your timing chain; install a gear set for perfect timing.
Note that the Turbo 400 tranny isn't gonna help with fuel economy ;)

As for reliability, a girdle set is probably cheap insurance against a cracked block although it's purpose is not really proven (jet).
Also check for a wobbly crank balancer.

If the truck is in healthy condition and you don't abuse it (like putting turbos on it tongue.gif ),
I think it's already pretty reliable.

Daan

Favre Fan
10-05-2005, 14:13
One of my first mods was going to be to swap out the tranny for a 700R4. Any recomendations with that? What should I look out for? Any bugs anyone has found? Is there any kind of special calibration to the trany that is required to use it behind the diesel?

britannic
10-06-2005, 04:28
You can use one of the existing alternators, if they're the Leece Neville 100 Amp. The conversion is very straight forward.

Check out this PDF file for more info: CUCV 12V Conversion (http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf)

85-m1028
10-07-2005, 04:58
if youre gonna swap in a 700r4 then I would change out the axle gears to something a little lower, 3.73 at least, depends on what size tire your running, I changed out my military glow plug system, and spliced in the civy controler/relay for 85-92 trucks using the factory harness plug under the dash, used a relay for the dash light works GREAT!! I had lots of probs with the military harness