PDA

View Full Version : More Glow Time

jcareyaustin
10-04-2005, 16:39
I think I have gleaned maybe enough info off the forum for a 82 6.2L glow controller mod:
5 to 10 ohms (seems to be two schools of thought, I assume the higher the resistance the longer the glow time) 2 watt resistor on the lead of PIN 4 ;)

"Pin 4: The 82 trucks will have an orange wire at this location and the 83-84 models will have a dark green wire. You should be able to measure direct continuity (0 Ohms) to the double red terminal on the glow plug relay and you should see battery voltage on Pin 4 when the glow plugs are energized. Not seeing voltage on pin 4 when glow plugs are on would indicate a wiring problem."

If I replace the old glow controller, what if I leave the old marginal controller in position, disconnect/re-connect the leads to the new controller, and tie back to the wiring harness away from the direct contact of the engine/heat.
Do I need to add an external ground or is the circuit already grounded through Pin 5?

Can anybody verify these assumptions on a 82 6.2L? :confused:

Many thanks,

Jim

john8662
10-04-2005, 23:12
It's already grounded on the controller.

I've used this technique in testing controllers I've had sitting around until I found a good one to use.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work to just plug it in and have it tied up away from the engine. Make sure you're using AC60 glows or better, or you WILL risk the 9G plugs failing.

Kind of like playing with fire here though, because the controllers ain't cheap compared to the newer electronic ones..

jcareyaustin
10-05-2005, 01:34
Yes, I have installed the 60G's. So I don't need to ground the controller other than pin 5. What about the resistor value and does the resistor go on to pin 4? I appreciate the help!

Jim

john8662
10-05-2005, 05:07
The information about the controller, where you got your information is here:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide12.htm

I just don't see anything there that would lead me to believe that you could lengthen the glow time on this preticular glow controller.

The cigar-style controller isn't adjustable. I think the best route, is to give it the coldest reading possible, by keeping it away from the engine itself. If you desire longer glow times, there are several options.

1, upgrade to the electronic glow controller/relay and use the resistor mod on that controller

2. Peninisular Diesel www.peninsulardiesel.com (http://www.peninsulardiesel.com) offers a programmable glow controller for as long of a glow duration as you'd possibly want.

As far as I can tell, Pin 4 is an output wire going to the relay.