PDA

View Full Version : power loss, surge, white smoke = :(

shamanie
06-02-2004, 13:52
Coming down I-15 through Utah, stopped and got some diesel at a sinclair, experienced major powerloss, whitesmoke, and surging. I could go maybe 35 up hill and would actually lose power going down hill if I wasn't out of 3rd.

Made it to a flying J and had an extra fuel filter; changed it out and filled up with diesel and powerservice. Seemed to have gotten better but going up any sort of incline was a nightmare.
I would immediatley lose power.

I had good power in first. Terrible in second but I could get to 40, and abysmal in 3rd. 3rd gear was basically useless.

I would lose power in 3rd. Did I mention how bad third gear was?

I had to stop in cedar city because I was just exhausted. Woke up the next morning and took a shower. Of course I hit my head on the damn soap holder.

Now in a great mood, I head down to get some continental breakfast. At least they had raisin bran and the milk was ice cold. While I am toasting my bagel, I promptly drop it on the floor.

Now contemplating going back to sleep.

Go out to start the blaze and it won't stay going unless I am on the accelorator. Finally get it going without help and head out. Same thing. Take forever to get up speed, budget rental trucks towing vehicles are passing me while the occupants shake their heads.

Contemplating driving off a cliff because me ego just can't take any more.

About an hour and a half outside of vegas I realized that in our rush to get home we(my girlfriend and I) forgot to checkout of the hotel.

Mother of GOD WHY ME! Call the hotel and everything is taken care of.

It is now midday(100 degrees) and the AC blows luke warm air. Pondering why I don't have an ac that works in las vegas. Where can I get an AC that blows arctic cold air?

Make it home and the blaze is parked outside awaiting 12 guage or tender loving care, which ever you recommend.

I have an '83 blazer. The engine was rebuilt 200,000 miles ago. I just had a new water pump installed. Oil is changed every 3,000.

Thanks for all your help. I need it.

NH2112
06-02-2004, 14:58
I'd take a good hard look for leaks or restrictions in the fuel system. Keep running it, you never know if something's blocking a line and if it'll pop loose and make it to the filter. After that I'd check timing to see if it's retarded (and find out why if it is), and if that's not it then I'd say your pump's on the way out. Any idea how old it is? Has it been replaced since the engine rebuild? 200K is a long time for one of these pumps to last.

shamanie
06-02-2004, 15:23
Originally posted by NH2112:
I'd take a good hard look for leaks or restrictions in the fuel system. Keep running it, you never know if something's blocking a line and if it'll pop loose and make it to the filter. After that I'd check timing to see if it's retarded (and find out why if it is), and if that's not it then I'd say your pump's on the way out. Any idea how old it is? Has it been replaced since the engine rebuild? 200K is a long time for one of these pumps to last. The Pump was replaced about 8 years ago so you might be right. I have never checked the timing and I do not know when it was lasted checked.I will take a goood hard look although I could not see any leaking fuel anywhere.

britannic
06-02-2004, 20:38
Filling up with bad diesel (loaded with water or other contaminants) can also create some of the symptoms. Recommend draining some fuel directly from the tank and checking for water.

shamanie
06-02-2004, 20:48
Originally posted by britannic:
Filling up with bad diesel (loaded with water or other contaminants) can also create some of the symptoms. Recommend draining some fuel directly from the tank and checking for water. What is the best way to drain the fuel out of the tank?

catmandoo
06-03-2004, 05:08
you said the word sinclair.thats where all my problems started for me years ago.on the road one day and needed fuel so stopped at a sinclair truck stop figured they should have good fuel.well 2 days later drivin down the road and it breaks loose ta hammering.i thought evrey rod dropped out the bottom,it hammered so hard.so shut down pulled over look underneath and no oil so check it and it's good so decide what the heck if it's toast i can hurt it anymore.so start it and it sounded good again so take off and go slow and it never did it again that day well about 3 weeks later it did it again,so i thought sticky inj's so replaced em.2 weeks later did it again this time i got to thinking,every time it did it i had fuel from that same sinclair station,so i quit buying from them and have never had a problem since.

britannic
06-03-2004, 07:38
It does depend on the year, but with my 1985 K30 (military, so may not apply), there is an additional pipe from the tank that terminates on the crossmember behind the cab. It has a cap and a hose clamp that you can undo by hand and goes to the bottom of the tank, so you can siphon off some of the gunk as well as empty it.

If you do find water, you can buy fuel additives that will emulsify it, but I'll let other members with experience of using them, chime in with how the 6.2L inj. pump handles those.

jcomp
06-03-2004, 18:43
On my blazer there is a small valve in the passenger side rear wheelwell, mounted on the frame. You can open the valve and siphon out the water and whatnot that has collected in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Your 83 probably has 2 fuel fiters (mine did), did you replace both of them? I've had problems before when a single tank of bad fuel plugged up my secondary filter. It started surging at idle and losing power. It got to the point that the truck wouldn't even maintain 60MPH on a level road.

DmaxMaverick
06-03-2004, 18:57
If you replace the fuel filter and you get the same symptoms immediately, sounds like you got a tank of gasoline. It happens and won't hurt anything. It just won't run. Drain some fuel out (or catch some out of the filter bleeder) and smell it, feel it.

If it is gas, you don't need to drain down to more than 1/2 to 1/3 tank, depending on how much your fill up was. If you filled up at over 1/4 tank, only take out 1/2 tank. If you filled up from empty, take it down to 1/3 tank. Fill it back up with Diesel and drive that tank out. It doesn't hurt to also add about a quart of dino engine oil to keep everything lubed up.

Good luck.