PDA

View Full Version : Banks Stinger exhaust installed...

gkase
09-24-2005, 16:11
My new 85 GMC Jimmy had virtually no exhaust when I bought it recently, so I began to search for what to do...I got a temporary system at Meineke for $200 bucks but it was almost as loud the rotted and perforated front pipes and no muffler straight pipe 2" dual exhaust that came with the truck...I toyed with the idea of getting the turbo Sidewinder from Banks but since the diesel truck experience is new to me, I didn't go for it...however, I did decide, after much consideration, to go for the Banks Stinger. Although no longer really offered as a current product by their dealers, you can ask for one ahd they'll put it together for you (I ordered mine direct from Banks and paid full retail for it...what can I say, I did it!). So, to make a long story short, I cut off all the 2" pipe and installed the Banks exhaust and "Ram air" intake kit that comes with the kit...I did not turn up the fuel quantity as recommended by Banks since I am looking for quiet and economy not performance...SO...what I got was amazing. The sound is perfectly tuned...has a great smooth throaty sound, quiet so you can either listen to the radio or listen to your diesel engine if you prefer...and surprisingly an incredible boost in the old butt-dyno...it really makes a whole different performance picture come into focus for my 6.2...although they will credit my purchase of the exhaust and pyrometer parts toward the turbo kit, I may not (oh well, probably will) go for the additional expense of the turbo. Don't need it. The Stinger exhaust is a great kit. Expensive for an exhaust system but does what they say it will, and these days that is rare.
George

dieselbegreat
09-27-2005, 15:41
I too have the Banks Stinger exhaust. It's a good quality system and added some good power. I think I paid $695 for it. Stock dual exhaust is old technology, large tuned single pipe like the Stinger is better.

doncannon
09-30-2005, 20:40
Hello all,
gkase: glad to hear the kit from banks worked good. I have dealt with them in the past and they are good folks. As far as the turbo it depends what you intend to do with it as to weather you want to put the turbo on. It is truly a great kit that does require time and money to do (time to work out the kinks and money for turbo and gauges).
Hope this helps,
Don