PDA

View Full Version : rear diff carrier replacement

Phil Holmen
07-08-2004, 17:18
I am changing out the factory limited slip P.O.S. for an Auburn Gear limited slip. What is the easiest way to shim it up proprly, I have the shim kit ang all new bearings?

JohnC
07-09-2004, 05:57
Phil:

contact me at gmc65td at aol dot com. I've been looking for years for a factory POS limited slip diff. to replace my factory POS open diff. Mine's a '95 2500LD...

I'll copy the pages from the factory service manual for ya too!

[ 07-09-2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

Billman
07-09-2004, 08:40
Phil

Aren't the side shims adjustable collars?

You don't have to touch the pinion...

grape
07-09-2004, 09:37
to just change the carrier, all that needs to be set is back lash. The other most often over looked part is the carrier bearing pre-load. Not sure how the shims are on that particular rear, but usually it takes a case spreader unless it has adjustable spanners like a 9" ford. There is a tool similar to a pinion depth checker that checks the distance from bearing cap to bearing cap, after that measurement is determined and lash is set, you put .005" more shim under each carrier bearing to load them. IT'S NOT FUN and requires lots of take apart and reassemble till it's right time.

patrick m.
07-09-2004, 16:40
remove the old carrier, remove the ring gear, set the two carriers side-by-side, and check the ring gear flanges. If they are EXACT install the new carrier (w/ring gear) with the old shims just as they came out, and check the "back lash".

for GM gears (used) .006 to .010 should be fine.
Richmond usually specifies .008 to .012
the more lash, the more lube is allowed between the gears. to a point ;)