PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 turbo diesel (lacking power)

Charlie W.
05-25-2004, 12:10
I have a 6.2L turbo diesel in my 1983 GMC Jimmy. I recently replaced the injection pump that was causing me problems with fast idling. The used pump that I put on in its place fixed the fast idling problem, however now I don't have as much power as before and my mileage went down somewhat. My Exhaust Gas Temp rarely gets over 700-800 degrees with the replacement pump, whereas with the old pump on hills it would get up to 1,000 degrees. I was told that the fuel volume should be increased on the pump. Does anyone know how to perform this procedure? Do you think it will help?

CleviteKid
05-25-2004, 16:53
In the very first year of the collected Diesel Page articles is the one you want: "Turning up the Pump." You can order the reprint annual book by clicking on 1997 FEATURE ARTICLES. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back.htm)

When you crank up the fuel control screw in the new (used) pump you just put on, you will get your power, and your EGT, back where you want 'em.

Dr. Lee :cool:

jcomp
05-26-2004, 17:15
The installation instructions for the Banks turbo kit also has directions for adjusting the IP. I don't know what banks charges for the instructions, maybe you can score them for free.

Just a thought.

catmandoo
05-26-2004, 18:14
there was a topic on this back in like sept,anyway the top of the pump has to come off then the rack inside,this is held in place by a long screw with an allen head that comes in from the back when you remove the screw make sure you have ahold of the rack piece as it will drop also after the screw is removed you have to rotate the throttle shaft to about 3/4 throttle to get it out.then there is a little hole below that ,you have to turn the engine over by hand til you see a little allen head screw in the hole if i remember you turn it in 1/8 turn but when i did mine it smoked like it was coal fired so i bumped it back to about 3/32 or so a little goes a long way.then put it back together and when you put the top back on set it on the pump about an inch forward of how it goes on and slide it back on the edge of the pump keep it tight against the pump.THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT as if you do not and just set it down on the pump when you start it it will run wide open and you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHUT IT OFF.so if your not meticulously mechanically inclined i would leave it to somebody that has done it.i look at it as brain surgery for a diesel. if your not extremly careful what you do you could kill the patient.