PDA

View Full Version : how to replace glow plugs...

gkase
09-20-2005, 12:50
Since I'm new to diesel engines...is there any trick to replacing the glow plugs...I thought I would install a new set of Kennedys into my new (to me) 85 6.2L Jimmy...just unscrew and put in new one? any torque recommendations?
thanks
George

john8662
09-21-2005, 05:26
Welcome to The Diesel Page!

Starting with a fresh set of glow plugs isn't a bad idea at all, especially installing the variety that won't swell if they ever fail.

You'll basically need a 1/4" ratchet and a deep 10mm socket or 3/8" socket and a 3 - 4" extension for your ratchet.

There are some tricks to removing the plugs though, Once you get them to where they won't unscrew any more, then you'll have to turn then by hand and wiggle and pull as you turn. You may have to wiggle and turn till it binds, then take your ratchet and turn it until loose again, and repeat. The reason for this procedure is that the sut from over the years has compacted around the glow plug element where it enters into the chamber.

I don't have a torque specification for these, thats really the point in using only a 1/4" ratchet, you want them pretty snug, you don't want to hunker down on ratchet. My way of torque is by holding the ratchet with your pointer finger wrapped around the front side of the ratchet and then holding onto the ratchet while making a fist, I find it hard to really over tighten things while using this method. If you hold onto the end of the ratchet while tightening a fastener you have the leverage of the ratchet handle working with you to apply more torque. I would think that about 10 ft. lbs would be enough...

gkase
09-21-2005, 12:40
Thanks John...much appreciated!
George