PDA

View Full Version : Crank bolt problem

jcomp
05-19-2004, 19:20
Today, due to circumstances entirely within my control, I managed to moderately damage the threads inside the crank snout and destroy the associated bolt. :(

The threads were not entirely wiped out, so I put in a replacement bolt and was able to torque it to approximately 220 ft-lbs (my weight on the end of a one foot breaker bar) without stripping the threads. I also gave it some high strength threadlocker.

So, do you guys think I'm going to have any problems with this? Honestly, I'm a bit freaked out about it and would like to hear some opinions.

Dezman125
05-20-2004, 07:37
Hi
I feel you should be alright. I'v had to fix a couple of gasser cranks over the years,showed up in my shop with damaged threads,ect. I did the same cleaned up the crank,a little thread locker.
Watch it closely for a while.You could paint the bolt head,so you can see any movement easyer.Mabey put a contrasting line on it so it's easyer to see. On mine the bolt is buryed under the belt pully very hard to see.
Good luck

Peter J. Bierman
05-20-2004, 13:22
If you were able to torque it up to more or less spec's you'll be ok.
Keep an eye on it for a wile to be sure.

Peter

jcomp
05-20-2004, 19:22
Thanks guys. This engine build has been an exercise in proving murphy's law and I think murphy is making up for all the builds that have gone smoothly.

First I bent a valve cover and crushed the gasket by torquing it to the manufacturer's specs, not realizing that GM doesn't use a gasket.

Second I pull this crank bolt stunt.

Third, today I managed to drop a socket down the vacuum pump hole. Good thing it fell all the way to the oil pan, or I might have been able to fish it out with a magnet :rolleyes: .

I just hope it doesn't try to fall on me tomorrow when I put it back in the truck.

(feeling frustrated) :mad: