PDA

View Full Version : quietest muffler for 6.2 suburban

jbell
05-17-2004, 12:04
Anyone have an opinion on what is the quietest muffler / best flow on an old style sub? Currently has twin 2.5" exhaust with dynomax mufflers. They work well at high rpm, but are not big enough to filter out low diesel rumble. (2500 rpm on down) I probably have 4 feet of room for muffler and about 1' in diameter, so I have LOT's of room.

mirage
05-17-2004, 12:37
I don't have any answers but I was just about to ask the same question for a 3" exhaust setup. I want something quiet that flows well, as much as that is possible anyway.

a5150nut
05-17-2004, 19:29
Check into the Allied Muffler. Quiet and ver low back pressure. I was told it was same used by Banks, but that was the guy instaling it!

jbell
05-19-2004, 18:50
I was considering the stock duramax mufflers. Seems people are ripping them off for higher flow on the 6.6. Where I'm dual set up -- a pair of duramax mufflers? Any thoughts?

jbell
06-16-2004, 12:35
when guy before me had the 2.5 dual exhaust put in, they left the stock down tubes... bummer.

Any thoughts on using a 3" straight through muffler, like a glasspack, for a downtube to quite things down? and still use my dynomax mufflers in the back. (Also need to add a balance pipe -- anyone know the number of inches from the manifolds for the balance pipe, to be tuned correctly for a 6.2?) I saw one post about painting a stripe on the exhaust tubes, going for a hard run, and putting the balance pipe at the point where the paint is not burned off.

Ratau
06-16-2004, 22:53
Jbell

You got it reversed go were the paint is burend. Some body also wrote to put it as close as posible to the manifolds.

Danie

jbell
06-17-2004, 07:21
I know there has to be a 'tuned' length on the balance pipe. Just finding the place where the paint is burned off vs. where it's not, and putting a pipe in there doesn't seem quite right. The theory (if I follow it right) is that a pulse from one side will (as it crosses past the pipe) cause a vacuum on the other side due to the venturi effect. (Which is why a tuned pipe on a 2 cycle has the same effect as a turbocharger) If the pipe is in the 'correct' position -- one side will be creating a pressure pulse as the other side is creating a vacuum at the pipe. Each side then helps the other scavenge. In order to tune this, you have to know the volume of air per pulse (which varies with fuel / heat expansion / size and VE of motor), the speed of the pulse (which varies with the size of the exhaust tubes) and some other factors that I haven't thought of yet, or have to the math to figure out.

Surely someone (The good Dr. maybe?) has figured out for 2000-2500 on a 6.2 diesel, with 2.5" downtubes, that the balance pipe should be "X" inches away from the manifolds for max scavenging. And further, I figured someone would have done a "X" pipe verses a balance pipe to see which is better on a diesel.

Anyone??????