PDA

View Full Version : Headers on a 6.2?

Vaughn MacKenzie
05-16-2004, 14:17
Anyone here ever tried or heard of putting a set of headers on a NA 6.2 or 6.5??

I called Stan at Stan's Headers and he insists they will fit on the Blazer even though clearance to the frame is tight. The headers have a 3" collector. I can see myself putting a set of these on with dual 3" pipes and a pair of Walker mufflers and a balance tube. Judging by the poor, restrictive exhaust manifolds these would have to be a major improvement.
http://www.stans-headers.com/gm_headers.htm

Vaughn

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2004, 15:05
Stan is correct. The scavenging effect is the same for Diesel and gas engines. There would be no scavenging advantage with a turbo, but it would flow more free. Definately stay with the same diameter pipe as the collector until the mufflers. A properly installed balance pipe would double the effect, both in sound and performance.

Gains seen with properly installed headers can be near that found with a turbo. The advantage over a turbo is you don't have to wait for spool up.

Bobbie Martin
05-16-2004, 16:38
All I am going to say is take what Stan says with a grain of salt. I had the displeasure of doing business with him. He is not what I would classify as a pleasure to do business with.

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2004, 17:13
Bobbie

No offense intended, but that doesn't make him wrong, regarding what is posted here, anyway.

I don't know him, or his business, so I can't say. The description of the headers on the site is vague, and has no picture. I would verify they are scavenging (tuned) before considering them. Price seems a little high.

Vaughn

There are other options for headers. Advertisers on TDP list them. Most of whom (if not all) are very well versed on the subject of GM Diesel performance, including the N/A's. I would suggest at least seeking their advise, whether you buy from them or not. With every TDP advertiser I have traded with, all have provided service before and after a sale.

Bobbie Martin
05-16-2004, 17:40
The problem I had was directly related to fit. The only remedy offered was if I paid shipping both ways and 10% restocking and deducting for any pipes were not "perfect" when they got there, I would get (If I didn't owe by then) a refund. So basically I was stuck with an exhaust that did not fit, even though Stan hisself promised it would. His attitude changed as soon as he got my money, before the sale he was a nice guy. After the sale he was arrogant, rude and that's probably the better things I can say. All I can say is if they don't fit, plan on keeping them, because it will be YOUR fault the factory made truck wrong because Stan sure wouldn't make them wrong. Just my two cents.

Vaughn MacKenzie
05-16-2004, 21:06
Bobbie I haven't dealt with him directly but he is definitely an "interesting" fellow over the phone. A couple friends of mine have gone over to his shop in Auburn and had exhaust work done, but his prices are up there. And another thing, Stan says the prices are $15 higher than listed on the website due to "high steel prices." Yes steel prices are high but if you're going to charge X dollars better get your website updated.

Maverick thanks for the tip. If at some point I do consider upgrading exhaust I will check around with the DP vendors.

Bobbie Martin
05-17-2004, 13:57
You might want to look at these headers on eBay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2478518055&category=33631&sspagename=WDVW)

C.K. Piquup
05-17-2004, 19:02
Those headers on Ebay don`t look like what I`d call"balanced".What TDP advertiser sells headers for NA?I`ne only heard of Stan`s.Peninsular lists them for HUMVEE.

Vaughn MacKenzie
05-17-2004, 19:47
Well here's some headers from Diesel Pro. Interesting, they're the same PN as the ones Stan's sells :confused: http://www.dieselpro.net/gm_headers.php
Yeah the Hummer headers don't look that impressive.

arveetek
05-18-2004, 06:33
As far as I know, Stan's is the only place making true headers for the 6.2L, and TDP advertisers that do list headers, are buying them from Stan's. The Hummer headers aren't true, balanced headers, but would still probably flow better than stock manifolds. However, I've heard they won't fit in the c/k series trucks without modifications...they hit the frame rails.

Myself, I wouldn't pay that much for a marginal power improvement. You'd be better off to put the money towards a turbo system, and get twice the power. You can find used Banks Sidewinder systems on ebay once in a while for around $500, and one of our members, Grape, has one for sale in TDP classifieds right now for $800, IIRC.

I'm going to be installing a turbo system on my '81 here in the next week or two. I've bought it piece by piece over the last 2.5 years (I was in no hurry). I will soon have a Garrett turbo mounted to a Banks manifold, with a custom 4" exhaust system including a Kennedy muffler, all for about the same price as a new set of headers.

Casey

Old6.2
05-18-2004, 07:52
From what I have heard, headers do not give the performance gains on diesels that they do on gas engines. Diesel cam profiles do not have the overlap for headers to take advantage of plus the small combustion chambers that make the high compression leave the exhaust gasses little choice but to be forced out of the cylinder.

If you still want to go with headers, Hooker listed two sets (2x4 and 4x4) for your year during the '90s with the primarys at 1 1/2" x 38" for low end power at just over $500 !! Keep us posted on your decision.