PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug choice?

Vaughn MacKenzie
05-14-2004, 12:06
First post here in 2 years smile.gif I know Cummins engines like the back of my hand but am a bit clueless about the 6.2s.

I recently acquired a '84 Blazer "fixer upper" and am working on things to make it road-worthy. It's a bit rusty and the carpet is shot and it's not much to look at but the plan is for it to be my runaround/commuter/4x4 rig and save the new Dodge Cummins for everything else.

I bought this rig because everything but the A/C works even though it mostly sat for the last 7 years. It was used only to launch a boat 3-4 times a year only 0.2 miles away, and the guy used starting fluid on it every time because he was too lazy to find out why it would lose prime after sitting a year :eek:

But the motor sounds good, very smooth, decent power, and had very little blowby when I popped the oil fill cap, so I thought I'd take my chances on this beast.

My plan it to replace glowplugs, based on what I hear they can become difficult to remove if they haven't been changed for a long time. The controller is probably OK, they seem to cycle properly.

I am also going to drop the pan and inspect the main webs for cracks and order up the mains girdle kit from Diesel Services group.

On the topic of glow plugs what brand do you recommend and where? I saw a post about non-swelling AC Delco plugs, but what does "60G" mean??

Thanks guys,

Vaughn

Low_Bridge
05-14-2004, 12:17
60G is the delco part # for the non swelling type of glow pug. I just called Auto Zone the other day for putting them in my 91 & they sell them for under $8.00 each- I've got a set in my 82 as well-

mirage
05-14-2004, 14:19
I put a set of the dual coil glow plugs in mine from Accurate Diesel and don't have any complaints about them. They're supposed to hold their heat longer and some other junk like that. They glow faster than the 60G's too :)

Vaughn MacKenzie
05-14-2004, 19:17
Dual coil? Sounds high-tech & expensive tongue.gif

I think I'll give the 60Gs a try. Thanks Bill & Mirage.

Vaughn