PDA

View Full Version : How bad would it be to start the motor without the intake on?

mpascino
04-11-2005, 18:17
I think I have a fuel leak developing from somewhere near the injection pump. It is not bad at all, however after the truck sits for a short while after returning from a trip it will mark it's territory. It seems to run down the passenger side head and I am 90% sure it's fuel. Can I start the motor with no intake on and let it idle to try and fine the leak?
Thanks,
Mike

a5150nut
04-11-2005, 18:44
Not a good idea. You know something will find it's way into one of the intake runners. But as far as the fuel leak, it is probably one of the fuel lines in the vally. You can change both of them just remove the fuel filter.

More Power
04-11-2005, 19:44
GM actually issued a set of screen filters shaped like intake manifold gaskets to use in place of the intake manifold for those times when the mech needed to run the engine with the manifold off. Keeps stuff out of the engine....

Take a close look at the throttle shaft seals on the fuel injection pump. I had one once that would leak when the engine was cold (HPCA energized), but didn't when warm. Fuel would run down the engine valley, then run off one side or the other before it dripped off (most times in the starter area).

MP

mpascino
04-12-2005, 16:09
Well the motor only has maybe 7k on it since rebuild and the injection pump was rebuilt along with all the hoses replaces. I'm assuming it's something stupid like a hard line loose or maybe the clamp on the fuel inlet. I didn't think I could get my arm under the intake to take the hose off. What if I get a piece of heavy mesh screen and bolt it down to the heads? I obviously wouldn't drive it like this. Thanks again..
Mike

BobND
04-12-2005, 16:36
It certainly won't hurt then engine, unless something damaging is sucked in an intake port. However, the exhaust popping out of the center ports on the heads will deafen you in a few minutes!

More Power
04-13-2005, 07:47
Just for reference, the above mentioned DB2 with the leaking throttle shaft seals had 30K on it when it began leaking. The local Stanadyne shop recommended a new pump, but sold me the seals anyway - thinking I wouldn't be able do it.

I was able to replace the seals with little difficulty, and that pump ran another 100K before I sold the truck. :D

MP