PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Hard Parts transmissions

Craig M
05-10-2004, 06:24
Any one have any dealings with Phoenix Hard Parts. They remanufacture automatic transmissions. They have a relatively cheap price for TH400 transmissions ($375 with convertor). You can view their operations via ebay auction item 2477158020. Prices for other transmissions are closer to "normal". Maybe the TH400 and TH350 are their loss leaders?

jbell
05-10-2004, 16:30
you want a th400? I'm pulling one out to put in an OD trans. perfect shape, extremely firm shifts -- perfect trans, only selling because I need an OD. Would be selling converter / trans. Let me know.

Craig M
05-10-2004, 16:45
Yes I wish I could convert to a 700R4 also. This blown transmission is in a 4 wheel drive Suburban with the 6.2 diesel, so the ability to change transmissions is more difficult. Cross members and driveshafts and all that stuff would require modifications. This truck is not in great shape so not interested in spending to much. The Phoenix unit almost seemed to cheap. Where are you located?

a5150nut
05-10-2004, 17:34
Craig
Is that the same as drivetrain.com (http://drivetrain.com) If it is they are good people. My brother and I have booth purchased parts there and had very good service and received what we ordered.

ropinfool
05-11-2004, 05:42
I had also seen the ebay ad for Phoenix, was wondering the same thing. Noticed that price was for a 2 wheel drive tranny. Won't hold up very well in our 4 wheel drive trucks. craigm, I've been told the 700r4 is the same length as the T-400, so there should not be any driveline changes. The difficult things will be: make sure the output shaft of the 700r4 is changed to match the transfer case and changing over the VRV to control the shifting and figuring out how to control tc lockup. I have been toying with this idea for quite a while, short of leaning towards just replacing the T-400. jbell I am also looking for a tranny, email robertsonthego at msn dot com. Thanks. John

Craig M
05-11-2004, 06:14
I was thinking it was the TH350 that was the same length as the 700R4. If it is the Th 400 then might want to consider that tranny. That overdrive sure helps on the freeway.

britannic
05-11-2004, 06:38
There's a 1/2" difference in length between the 4wd versions of the TH400 and TH700R4 - not enough to worry about and easily taken up by the driveshaft slip yokes, unless they're already maxed by lifting the truck.

Originally posted by ropinfool:
I had also seen the ebay ad for Phoenix, was wondering the same thing. Noticed that price was for a 2 wheel drive tranny. Won't hold up very well in our 4 wheel drive trucks. craigm, I've been told the 700r4 is the same length as the T-400, so there should not be any driveline changes. The difficult things will be: make sure the output shaft of the 700r4 is changed to match the transfer case and changing over the VRV to control the shifting and figuring out how to control tc lockup. I have been toying with this idea for quite a while, short of leaning towards just replacing the T-400. jbell I am also looking for a tranny, email robertsonthego at msn dot com. Thanks. John

mirage
05-11-2004, 08:01
My Dad got his 480LE rebuilt here:
Phoenix Remanufactured Transmission 1-800) 388-5540 when you call ask for Matt at ext. 14

They dyno test them and warranty them for a year or so I think. He's had it back in his truck for a few months, so can't really say how it will be for longevity, but seems to be doing good so far.

Craig M
05-11-2004, 08:35
Price for a rebuilt 700R4 is $550 vs $350 for the TH400 at Phoenix. The addition of an overdrive may be worth the extra $200. Sure cheaper than a Gear Vendors.

The truck is raised about 3 inches or so. That should only increase driveline lenth 1/16 of an inch or so if my math is correct (A squared plus B squatrd equals C squared).

jbell
05-11-2004, 10:46
I'm in KC. yes the 700r4 is 1/2" longer than a th400. The cross member location is enough different however to need some changes. I've been scouring the internet looking for a 700r4 / 4l60 that will stand up to a diesel. I 'hear' what is in my sub is a th475, the heavy duty version of the th400, that's why it shifts so firm. I've had many people trying to talk me out of swapping a th4xxx for a 700r4. Don't go the $550 route for a 700r4, that's for sure! A 'stock' rebuild will be a pile of junk in a hurry. I've been emailling 'maddog-transmissions.com' about their $995, no core, free ship, heavy duty trans and converter package. Lou 'claims' that 'this is the last transmission I'll ever need.' Yea, I've heard that before, just before the skinny pedal on a turbo diesel rips the 1-2 shift a new one...... I've talked to 3 of the local 4x4 shops, and they all praise the gear vendors overdrive and the th475 trans that I supposedly already have. 4l80e and the aftermarket shift computer is more money than a gear vendors.... Allison is not an option either (electronics) 3.23 is the highest ratio available on a gm 14 bolt. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT? and Why did gm ship a non overdrive transmission diesel vehicle with 4.10 gears?