PDA

View Full Version : eliminating crank case pressure, rear seal?

libtec
04-08-2005, 21:15
I'm going to replace my rear main seal to hopefully cut down on the large amount of oil I have to drop in the motor at every fill up. I have read that eliminating crank case pressure is a must before replacing a leaking main or the seal could be subjected to another failure. When I run a line from the dip stick tube to a bottle of water I can get bubbles out of the line from water level to about 1/4 inch below while the engine is at an idle. I have also read, but can't recall where at, that the 6.2's had a system for creating vaccume that could fail, pressurize the case and kill the seal.
Also on a possible realted subject. What function does the vaccume pump serve on my "bare bones" motor and truck? I don't have AC or any extras. Is this the answer to my first question? What are the small modules mounted above my intake with wires and vaccume lines doing to my truck?
I'm trying to learn more about the vaccume system on my truck and would like any input, advice, experience anyone out there can offer. Thanks a bunch and thank the lord for summer, I can start to give my truck the TLC it needs after the winter. I REALLY need to build myself a garage.