PDA

View Full Version : Broken Solonoid Pack Wires 94 6.5 TD

cldowlen
10-25-2004, 08:13
I have repaired three of the six wires going to these solonoids in the last six monthes for SES codes 31,32,33,45 as well as loss of turbo boost without a code. The wires break inside the insulation near the plug, sometimes in more than one place. I haven't seen this problem mentioned on the forum, maybe it's so common no one except me was baffled by it. Fortunatley my friendly local diesel service person had an old wire harness from which I was able to salvage some pins with wires attached to effect repairs. Mr Kennedy has a place in his tech tips for 6.2/6.5 diesels for the solonoids but no information as yet. I hope this will help someone.

MTTwister
10-25-2004, 13:20
cl... Wow, that's potential sucky - How'd you track that down?

One of the usual trouble-shooting hints is to pull the connector and check for dirty pins - that probably doesn't help the broken wire syndrome. Thanks for the hint ( hope I don't need it in the near future smile.gif )

tom.mcinerney
10-25-2004, 18:53
CLDOWLEN:
Thanks for your report; nice troubleshooting.

>"three of the six wires going to these solonoids"

There are two solenoids on the FuelInjectionPump.
The FuelShutofSolenoid turns the fuel supply ON/OFF to the pump; it is a vertical cylinder bolted to the forward, driver's side of the top of the FIP.
The FuelSolenoid is mounted to the rear of the pump, in the center of the ring of fuel pipe unions which feed the injectors.
The FuelShutoffSolenoid turns off and on with the ignition keyswitch. The FuelSolenoid turns on once for a brief instant to fire each injector on each piston's powerstroke.
The FuelSolenoidDriver is a cigarette-pack-sized module screwed onto the driver's side of the FIP. This FuelSolenoidDriver activates the FuelSolenoid at each piston-fire.
Two wires connect to the FuelSolenoid.
Two wires connect to the FuelShutoffSolenoid.
Five wires connect to the FuelSolenoidDriver.

Which wires did you find open circuits in , apparently near/at connector???

Several members previously reported problems at the FSD connector; Stanadyne was/is(?) providing new harness pigtails with new FSDs.

Thanks for response, t m.

cldowlen
10-26-2004, 04:59
The broken wires were to the solonoids for the EGR functions and the turbo waste gate. I have included a link to the picture on the Kennedy Diesel web page for clarity.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/solenoidbank.html

The solonoid with two broken wires was the one closest to the fire wall.