PDA

View Full Version : Air in fuel

RustyK5
04-30-2004, 04:59
Let me start off by saying that this is a great forum and I have learned volumes from you folks!
My problem is that when I start my truck I generate a massive, I mean you cant see the sun, massive cloud of white smoke. I know I need to change out the glows for some 60g's and I'm pretty sure I have a air leak in my line. There is fuel on the crossmember in front of the engine which then drops to the ground. I cant seem to find where it is coming from. Anybody out there have any tricks to help me locate this. Thanks again in advance, you guys really take care of us diesel neophites :D

britannic
04-30-2004, 06:53
Get a mirror and follow the fuel lines until you see where it's coming from.

If you have a mechanical lift pump, you'll want to get underneath and check the rubber hose that carries fuel into the lift pump and the hard line nut that goes up to the filter.

Does it leak all of the time, or only when the engine is running?

If it only leaks when the engine is running, check the pressure side of the lift pump.

Another trick is to pressurize the fuel tank, using a spare fuel cap with a tire valve installed. Don't put any more than 10psi absolute max of compressed air - then trace the fuel lines from the tank to the pump.

ropinfool
04-30-2004, 11:54
I had a F*** w/7.3 non-turbo that would do this on start-up. Turned out to be a cracked head, was leaking water into one of the cylinders when cold, when hot no problems, I guess the metal expanded enough to seal the crack. Good Luck. John

RustyK5
05-05-2004, 03:13
Thanks for the info guys. I will try the presurized tank trick, its much better than pulling the tank!