PDA

View Full Version : turbo charger questions

Islander
03-26-2005, 20:25
I found a turbo charger and its related parts from a mid nineties Chevy pick-up (6.5 liter diesel) at a wrecking yard today. I would like to use this on my 6.2 liter project. The turbo says "GM 1" on it. What does this designation mean? Also, there is oil in the housing where I don't think oil is supposed to be (the side on which the charged air enters the intake manifold housing--there is evidence of oil in the intake runners as well), so I'm sure it will need to be rebuilt. Should I have this particular one rebuilt, or should I keep my eyes open for a different turbo charger?

Dezman125
03-27-2005, 08:16
Hi
GM-1 is the first series of turbo's put on the 6.5,the last ones were GM-8,which the guys with 6.5's say is better than the GM-1.The oil you see is probly oil which has come from the CDR valve,it is plumbed in to the intake side of the turbo,so most GM turbo's will have a film of oil on the compressor blades.So long as the blades don't touch the sides it is rebuildable,or usable as is depending on $$$$.
What year truck are you working on??
If you add the info from your truck to your signature then everyone can see what your working on and give you better/more info to your Questions.
I'm gathering pieces to build a turbo system,i'm going with a Banks turbo from a 7.3 F*#D,Intercooler from a 01 cummin's and a Banks 6.2 turbo manifold.I'll be doing a lot of fabercating,but in the end i should save some $$$ and have the satasfaction of building most myself.

Islander
03-27-2005, 15:29
I'm building a 6.2 liter motor for installation into a full size 1983 Jeep Cherokee. I am using an '83 Chevy pick up as the donor. I updated my signature; hopefully it will show now.