PDA

View Full Version : out of storage.....back on road !!

KEVIN MUNCASTER
03-24-2005, 14:20
Got excited by the sunny weather and took old blue for a 400 mile road trip on Tuesday. It was so nice to hear the roar and rattle again. I drove my 5.4 f150 all winter (13mpg at 90 cents a litre, or $3.60 a gallon) and just couldn't take any more abuse.

After installing the j intake, diesel pro timing idler set, all various other newbie items, I managed 26mpg at average 70 mph over 400 miles with a 600# ATV in the box. Man I love this truck !!! This trip would have cost me $110.00 in my Ford, instead I spent $41.00 on old dinosaurs for my 6.2. Why would I drive anything else. Besides, the old school square body chev looks so cool !!

:D

CleviteKid
03-26-2005, 10:44
Good Deal, Spring may really come and replace Winter this year. I had to turn on the A/C in my house for the first time today. This was the first winter I did not turn on the heat even once.

You are right about the 73-87 body style. GM called it "The Rounded Line" but compared to what came after it, they are kinda square and boxy. I like mine, and will own it "forever".

Dr. Lee :cool:

KEVIN MUNCASTER
03-26-2005, 16:15
I love your truck !!
My next project is going to be a c10 shortbox 6.2 transplant. I another truck besides my c10, a completely rotten 85 c15 gmc which has a great running gear. I'm going to freshen the motor and use the truck as a donor to do a rust free rolling chassis. I'd love to find one that is currently a diesel, but needs a motor, but will convert a gasser if necessary. Will have to go south for a body, as rust free ones are few and far between up here. 6.2 trucks are easy to buy cheap up here, cuz nobody seems to want them, but they are rot boxes.......far too much road salt. I was so lucky to find my Wrangler, right place, right time.....well maybe again.

:D

mhagie
03-26-2005, 17:46
Rust Free Auto Parts Co. Fairfax Iowa 319-397-9912 Specializes in rust free Cabs Boxes etc.
That where my body parts came from, the only thing original on my truck is the frame and the a/c lines everthing else came from salvage yards and GM Parts Div.
They obtain all their body parts from the Dallas- Ft Worth Texas area.
Happy hunting..............Merle