PDA

View Full Version : Air lock ?

conejo
01-09-2004, 12:53
I just replaced the FIP. in my 6.2(6.5) 1986 Chevy. I have cracked the lines at the injectors, and cranked the engine but no fuel is comming out of the lines. I loosend the top of the FIP and there was fuel in the pump. I'm stumped.
Any help would be appreciated.

TanM998
01-09-2004, 13:05
I have found that removing the supply line to the injection pump, cranking the engine until fuel comes out, and then re-installing the line WHILE cranking works best to get the engine started again. I also have had problems getting it started after installing an injection pump. If you continue to have problems, install a clear tube from your filter to your injection pump (temporarily) and this will allow you to "see" whats going on.

Scott

britannic
01-09-2004, 14:49
It's a lot less messy and controllable to open the air bleed valve on the filter whilst cranking. Also be sure that the pink wire is connected to the front terminal on the IP pump and that it's getting 12v, otherwise no fuel will flow into the IP at all.

There's some excellent info on getting rid of air locks in the Member's Section, check out The DP Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm)

78Chev
01-09-2004, 14:50
Make sure that the fuel shutoff solenoid on top of the FIP is energized so that fuel can get to the injectors.

conejo
01-10-2004, 06:04
Thanks ! we will try it again today.

Peter J. Bierman
01-10-2004, 08:06
What I did today when mounting the marine pump is taking out the return valve, where the return hose is on, and filled the pump with CLEAN diesel up front.
There is about 1/2 litre off fuel in it and it takes a lot off cranking to get it filled.
After that it took 2 times 10 seconds the get fuel at the injectors and after retightening the fuellines, it fired right up. :D
Maybe a sugestion to save your starter.

Good luck, Peter

britannic
01-10-2004, 08:13
Originally posted by Peter J. Bierman:
What I did today when mounting the marine pump is taking out the return valve, where the return hose is on, and filled the pump with CLEAN diesel up front.
There is about 1/2 litre off fuel in it and it takes a lot off cranking to get it filled.
After that it took 2 times 10 seconds the get fuel at the injectors and after retightening the fuellines, it fired right up. :D
Maybe a sugestion to save your starter.

Good luck, Peter Nice one!

Peter J. Bierman
01-10-2004, 08:30
Thanks, Be inventive and discover new ways to get things done :D

Peter

conejo
01-10-2004, 13:55
Originally posted by conejo:
I just replaced the FIP. in my 6.2(6.5) 1986 Chevy. I have cracked the lines at the injectors, and cranked the engine but no fuel is comming out of the lines. I loosend the top of the FIP and there was fuel in the pump. I'm stumped.
Any help would be appreciated.

conejo
01-10-2004, 14:01
thanks guys. works like a charm