PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the cure to my problems

crew84
11-16-2004, 14:27
You guys that have been here a while know that I have had problems with rough running when hot or first starting cold smoking. I have also had high EGTs. The truck had a small vibration at high rpm.
Since I did my complete rebuild 33K ago I have been fighting problems. The truck ran great for about 1K and one hot day I drove it to HomeDepot in Sacramento. When I got back into the truck it started and ran rough pulling out of the parking lot. Once on the road it ran fine. About two hours down the road I came to a stoplight and stopped. I started to go and about 30 yards I heard a sound like a rod going out. I found out later it was an injector carbon fouled open. I replaced it and a couple of miles later the one next to it did the same. I have always blamed the injection pump but was told that there was nothing wrong with it by another rebuilder. Of course this was after both rebuilders got together and worked it out.. After that I have replaced a new starter, injection lines, fuel filter holder rebuilt, rebuilt injectors to 6.5 new injectors, fuel line hoses, and many hours of testing. I could not find an air leak in the fuel system leading up to the pump. Some the injection lines fitting started leaking probably because of all the times I loosen them. I could not get it to run the same everytime I drove it. Sometimes it would not be hard to start and sometimes the vibration at high rpm would go away. But that was seldom.
I have always suspected the IP and finally sent a later HD IP core to be rebuilt by Tim.
I replaced it and after a week it starts up with a couple of turns of the engine with just a puff of white smoke after sitting for days. No vibration at high rpm. EGTs are good under load peaking at little over 1000. The other part is the downshifting into the lower gear is without vibration. I can not test it at high temps because it is winter here. I feel I can sell it now without thinking it as a lemon.

john8662
11-16-2004, 20:40
Good to hear there is some improvement. As I had mentioned in another post of yours, my 86 behaves exactly as your 84 does. I am about to do the injection pump thing finally. I bought a later model 6.5 non turbo injection pump to be rebuilt by Tim, we'll see if that helps.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
11-17-2004, 04:33
Crew: Are you selling the truck I see in the picture ? What are you looking to get for it ?

What can you tell me about the truck ?

I may be interested, and would fly out and drive home if you feel the truck is up to the trip.

Kev

email me at kevin@trailsidesports.com

FWBennett
11-17-2004, 07:55
Hey crew84 In reading your post - I get the impression that you've put 6.5 injectors in your 84?
I'm putting a rebuilt long Block in my 84 Suburban 6.2 and since I've got an ATS turbo, people have suggested that I put 6.5 injectors in it - how's the fit? and did you notice any improvement in performance? (I understand you've had the issues you've mentioned in the post)
Anybody else out there that's put 6.5 injectors in a 6.2???

crew84
11-17-2004, 08:32
I put in the new 6.5 injectors after a discussion with Tim at Accurate Diesel. I was making sure that a 6.2 injection pump could handle them. The thought was lower EGTs which happened, but not enough. I also wanted to try new injectors which might magically correct some problems. It ran smoother through the rpm range. They installed without any problems. They are shorter so I just pushed the metal fuel line down a little to fit. The truck is for sale.

[ 11-17-2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: crew84 ]

Keith Richards
11-20-2004, 13:54
That is my dream truck.I have a 79 crew that I hope to have looking like that someday.how much are you asking?can I see more pictures?

crew84
11-20-2004, 15:25
I do not think this is the proper forum for me to sell this truck. I am not in a rush to sell that is why it is not listed but it is for sale. I want $10,000 firm for it with me having $24,000.+ into it. I have lots of $ extra's. For some pics go to:
web page Photo contest (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002334;p=2)

crew84
12-09-2004, 14:13
I started the truck after it sat for ten days. It started right up. It had one cylinder that was not firing for about five seconds. Some white smoke until that cylinder kicked in. I do not know if it was air in line on that cylinder or its glowplug but I am happy so far with the pump.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
12-09-2004, 18:06
I have Crew's truck set as the background on my computer at work and home. I'd love to buy the truck and drive it home from California. Gotta get all my ducks in a row first........