PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Ticking Noise

TanM998
01-08-2004, 16:02
In my truck (1985 Humvee) my 6.2L is ticking during accell and during decell. I have replaced one lifter (intake no 8) since it was collapsed and the noise went away somewhat. I checked the rest of the lifters on that side, and didn't notice any that were bad. The noise still sounds like its comming from the even bank. I have driven the truck about 600 miles since I installed the new lifter. Recently had an oil change (only was down a qt which is normal). I also recently put some injector cleaner in the system. I do not notice a loos of performance nor do I see any odd smoke through the exhaust. Anyone have any clue as to what this problem might be?

Scott

arveetek
01-09-2004, 06:07
The lifters do tend to get stuck every once in a while on the 6.2L's. I get a ticking now and then, and when I do, I add a quart of ATF to the engine oil and run it for a few hundred miles. The ticking goes away, I change the oil, and I'm good to go for a long time.

I've had to do that 2 or 3 times in the 110,000 miles I've put on my 6.2L.

The ATF seems to loosen up the lifters and get them working good again.

Casey

TanM998
01-09-2004, 12:38
Are there any adverse effects from running ATF in the engine? I have heard of a similar useage of Kerosene?? to get the varnish out?

Scott

arveetek
01-10-2004, 15:17
I don't know of any adverse effects of using ATF. As long as you only use 1 quart. I would think Kersone would dilute the engine oil, though. I'm not sure about that.

Perhaps Dr. Lee can help with that question?

Casey

dieselhumvee
01-10-2004, 16:03
there is a product specifically for this, it is called Rislone, and can be found at auto parts stores. A buddy of mine used it on a gas engine once with good results, the lifter noise went away, may be worth a try