PDA

View Full Version : Dual idler install......

KEVIN MUNCASTER
11-15-2004, 12:23
Well, installed my new DSG dual idler kit last nite. The old t-chain was pretty much pimped. Had to play with the crank position to fit the gears, so the timing should be more accurate now. Waiting for new pulley and balancer from Team Chev to finish the job. Installed new water pump, lift pump, 75 amp alt., recored rad, new t-stat, eliminated EGR valve (C-intake)

Is it worth installing a new CDR valve. What exactly is it doing ? How can you tell if it is bad ?

Anxious to get it running again, even though I won't be drivin' her till April. :(

Kev

20050420|7|006071|000022|69.19.2.78
11-19-2004, 02:56
Hello Kev,
do you have any pictures of the dual idler instalation? smile.gif

KEVIN MUNCASTER
11-19-2004, 04:48
I should have taken some, but no I was so wrapped up in the job that it slipped my mind.
Sorry ! :rolleyes:

KEVIN MUNCASTER
11-29-2004, 06:31
Finally got my balancer and crank pulley from Team Chev. Installed them, along with new rad, etc, last nite. My heart skipped a beat when I realized that my new crank pulley was a 3 groove and the old one was a 2 groove. To my surprise, it worked anyway, leaving the inner groove empty. I guess this is a pulley for a truck with AC. I had a 15592127 and installed a 15592128. Hmmm. I believe the diameter is a bit different, but all is well. Truck fired right up even after having the lift pump off. No bleeding, no aggravation. Something has to go right sometimes !

The dual idler has a very mechanical sound at idle. I find the truck now sounds more like a diesel. I set the pump timing to factory marks and starting seems good, idles and runs A1. Took it for a ride last nite in -10 celcius weather and it ran great. I sure wish I didn't have to lay it up for the winter, I miss it already, and it's not even December.

Next project is interior and headliner replacement, some guage work, and a sound system. Should keep me busy for a little while.

If anybody is going to tackle this project (timing gears, etc.) it is simple, as long as you have some time ! I would do it again anytime.

Kev tongue.gif

FWBennett
12-06-2004, 14:54
Hey 6.5 Nova - I took some pics of my Idler gear installation - they aren't very exciting - what exactly are you looking for (I just got some shots of the B4 & after gears - were you looking for the completer tear down & build up?)

john8662
12-06-2004, 20:36
I am right in the process of installing a set in my 86 pickup. I now officially have a shop full of GM and none of them are driveable. Anyways, I am taking pictures as I am going with this setup. My install is very detailed, gears, new water pump, brand spanking new injection pump, injectors, rear main seal, stud girdle kit. I worked all weekend on the tear-down. I am getting towards putting things back together now. I hope to have the truck running by the end of next weekend, working on it little bit at a time at night.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
12-07-2004, 04:38
Hey John: Can the stud girdle kit be done in-frame ? I have done all the rest, maybe I should be doing this too. Mine seems to work better, starts quicker, sounds different. I hate the idea that it's sitting in storage (out of the salt) and I'm driving my gas-sucking pig of an F150. Just filled up this AM, took $56.00 to run 145 miles. (Plowing and cold morning idling included) YUCK ! I HATE WINTER $$$$$$$$$

john8662
12-07-2004, 06:36
I've done the stud girdle kit in-frame on my 6.5TD, but I haven't on the truck, it has even less room to deal with. I was looking though my service manual and it describes removing the oil pan. But do to that I have to raise the engine after I remove the engine mount bolts. I'll keep you posted on the install, maybe shoot some pictures while I'm in there. I'm still crossing my fingers that I have no webbing cracks.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
12-07-2004, 08:56
cool........ :D