PDA

View Full Version : C-code to J-code: TPS question

Rob C
11-14-2004, 19:17
I am putting a used Avant 6.2 into my Suburban. My Burb is a 1/2 ton, so it came with a C-code engine. The TPS on my original engine had two wires leading into its (two-pronged) plug, so the mating connector on my harness also has two prongs.

The TPS on the Avant J-code engine has three wires (and a three-pronged plug)... AND vacuum ports ! Since I cannot connect the plug from my harness to the plug on the TPS, what should I do ?

1) Swap my old TPS onto the new engine, and adjust the position of it by driving and checking for TCC lockup speed ?

2) Check for common wire colors on my harness plug and the new TPS and just solder the common colors together, ingnore the third wire on the TPS, and ignore the vacuum ?

3) Something else ?

I would prefer to stick with a TPS controlled lock-up, rather than a manual overide or having lock-up controlled with line pressure & 4th gear switches.

Thanks !

john8662
11-14-2004, 20:50
Just swap on the TPS from your old engine. Make note of where the TPS was mounted on the old injection pump and install it exactly (look at position of bolts) as it was on the old engine.

G. Gearloose
11-15-2004, 05:25
I concur,
Switch them.
But it has nothing to so with speed.

Factory specs a guage bar between the gauge boss on the pump and the wide open stop screw...

Switch open at .773", switch closed at .751"

This sets lockup at 10% throttle and higher.