PDA

View Full Version : P/S bracket keeps breaking

4x4Dreamer
03-15-2005, 03:32
A while back I went up to 82DieselBurb's house to have him check some things on my truck and he found that my P/S pump was hanging on by 1 bolt. So he fabbed up some very nice brackets to hold it back on. Well, one of them has broken already, and this things was STOUT! What kind of stress are these things going through? This is the top bracket that faces toward the block. Secondly, I'm leaking brake fluid, it appears to be coming out of the top of the reservoir. I figure it's just a bad gasket. Has anyone else has this happen to them?

I'm a little worried about the P/S pump. It's holding on by 2 bolts I think...I'll have to check at lunch. But I don't want it coming off and taking out my radiator.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

john8662
03-15-2005, 06:17
4x4Dreamer,

Last time I had a broken power steering pump bracket was because the smaller "L" shaped bracket that supports the pump on the back side of the pump was missing in action. After I replaced both brackets, no more problems. It's just a small bracket that has mounts to a post on the block on the drivers side that swings over to the back of the power steering pump.

G. Gearloose
03-15-2005, 06:23
Yes, I think there are at least 4 fastners on the PS pump.

TimK
03-15-2005, 07:14
A combination of vibration and metal fatigue can cause the brackets to fail. Having the small "L" bracket in the back of the pump will cut down on the vibration.

TimK

waorth
03-15-2005, 08:28
Hi Eric,

for the "L"-bracket you may take a look at this topic:

Steering pump bolt on (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003256#000004)

Good luck.
Walter