PDA

View Full Version : Installing a 7-Way Adapter with Electric Brakes

gmenor
10-24-2004, 16:15
Need advice on installing electric brakes on my beast. Unfortunately my Burb did not come with a 7-way adapter. That is no problem but, what wire do I hook up to the electric brakes for the adapter (brake lights)? Do I need to buy a electric brake adjustment kit?

gwaidman
10-24-2004, 19:20
Wireing will depend on the brake controller that you are going to use. In general, most controllers will have a 4-wire hook-up. +12v, ground, output (to 7-way connector), and brake input. The input wire usally splices in with the brake pedal switch. Just make sure you are on the 'switched' side, or your trailer brakes will be on all the time. There are many controllers on the market. Figure out your needs and how often you tow before you commit the funds. Hope this helps you out. Cheers.

autocrosser
10-25-2004, 03:31
You should have wires already inplace running back to the rear for a 12v line and the brake line. I believe they are tucked into the harness against the fire wall adjacent to the fuse box. There should be a orange #10 gauge wire and I believe a blue one for the brake line. Mine were just looped into the harness and all I had to do was pull them out and hook up the orange one to the fuse box studs provided.

CareyWeber
10-25-2004, 16:32
Here is the best brake wiring info I have found. I followed it and my trailer brakes work great.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142024

Carey

gmenor
10-25-2004, 17:22
Thanks all. I'm picking up an 18 foot trailer - empty this Friday from Stafford, Virginia. Just wanted to make sure the trailer don't beat me back to Fayetteville.