PDA

View Full Version : Need to clean Pine Tar off the Paint and Windshield?

MTTwister
07-06-2004, 11:44
I have the pickup parked 1/2 under a pine tree out front. YEP - got pine tar on the hood, door, glass, etc. Thinking of giving it a wash down with turpintine to cut the gunk. Anybody have a better "solution"? ( normally I would probably use universal solvent < gasoline>, but turpintine comes to mind as better option here.)

It's gonna play heck the 'wax' job, but will it harm the paint?

Thanks for any input.

G. Gearloose
07-06-2004, 11:53
I use brake cleaner spray, disolves hardened pine pitch within 2 seconds, its ready to wipe off. I just spray it on a rag and sweep the pitch away. doesn't harm the paint or clear coat; tryit in an inconspicuous spot first.

ktmracer
07-06-2004, 13:42
2 better choices;
1-while the vehicle is cool, use a citrus based cleaner,(ex.simple green,fast orange,etc.)
or if you`ve got some tuffies my favorite is window cleaner . just make sure it has ammonia in it as that is what actually does the deed.
good luck.

EscaladeDiesel
07-06-2004, 15:07
I have used the brake cleaner spary also. It worked just fine, but it too removes any and all wax in the area used. Good luck

MTTwister
07-06-2004, 16:43
Initial test between Orange Blast and home made window cleaner with ammonia both produced good results. Suprizingly the Ammonia aolution is getting the nod from me, will mix up a bucket, in the near future, and wash down the gooey 1/2 of the truck ( hey, might even do the whole deal, as it's all gonna have to get waxed after this mess gets cleaned up.) Thanks for the input, would never have thought these would cut through the goo. tongue.gif Enjoy the Day!

ktmracer
07-06-2004, 17:20
yes,rest assured that anywhere the ammonia touches, whether it is put on heavy or just runs down the side of the truck as you rinse it, will need to be waxed.
and some say the internet is nothing but useless garbage!!

a5150nut
07-06-2004, 18:31
I used to live up in the pine trees and you can call me krazy but.........mayonnaise will remove pine sap.

CleviteKid
07-07-2004, 05:41
Could you put a protective layer of mayonnaise on your truck to keep the pine sap from sticking in the first place :D ?

The Clevite Kid ;)

Marty Lau
07-07-2004, 07:10
I love it Dr. Lee! Then simply place some ham and cheese on top and OFF ot Jelly Stone Park to take care of Yogi & BooBoo! :cool:

Journeydog
07-07-2004, 17:52
No where I can park around my house without accumulating pine sap here and there on my vehicles. I've tried just about everything known to mankind, including mayo, WD-40, and most commercial sap and tar removal products. Over the years, I've only found two sure-fire ways to get this crap off. You can wait for it to settle and get hard. Pick a cold day and VERY carefully remove it with a razor blade. Or, rub it with a small amount of Xylol (xylene) on a folded paper towel or rag. It evaporates pretty fast and you'll have to re-wax the area, but it comes right off with almost no coaxing. Also, make sure you use some cheapy poly gloves or something similar, because this stuff will eat all the oil out of skin.

Good luck dealing with nature's little pleasures... tongue.gif

whatnot
07-07-2004, 20:26
I just leave a protective layer of dirt on mine so it doesn't stick. :D

Kollin Syverson
07-08-2004, 18:08
A chain saw also does wonders.

ttpost
07-11-2004, 11:51
chainsaw works but a little gas and a match work too, just have good homeowners insurance :D :D :D

MTTwister
07-12-2004, 11:28
Well, as long as this thread is still alive - I mixed a bucket of ammonia and water- fairly strong. Did the trick.Only 3 heavy spots that I had to dig at with what passes for fingernails. Course I had to wash the whole truck down, which meant I had to wax the dang thing. Ya know how BIG these things are? Now I remember why I went through the Splash and Dash.

Also took off the Cowl vent thingy (technical term) to clean out another bunch of Pine Needles and 'mud', 2nd time this year. So then spent Sunday retrofitting screening material on the underside of it. Parked uneder a differnt tree, and now the birds are pooping all over the dang deal. Mother nature run amuck!

ktmracer
07-12-2004, 14:40
dude,the bird poop is easier to clean off but will do more damage in the long run. get it off.
btw, i was in butte about 3 weeks ago just about 2300 miles from my house.
beautiful area i might add.

MTTwister
07-13-2004, 07:56
KTMracer - 3 weeks ago ? you probably needed your long johns. tongue.gif It's finally getting warm this week.

Can't recommend trying it in the winter, tho'. redface.gif