PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Lines

Bill Siver
11-07-2004, 20:16
I don't tow anything or use my truck very hard. I broke both oil cooler lines when removing the engine from the truck. Also, the stock rad with the internal oil cooler is shot. I have a new rad, but it does not have an engine oil cooler. I want to install 2 pipe plugs in the block in place of these lines, or just join the two holes together. Is there a problem with this?

Thanks,

Bill

smcghan
11-07-2004, 21:22
Bill, I would use the good rad. But I would purchase an aftermarket transmission cooler. Just use automatic trans line with nipples screwed into the block, and mount cooler in front of rad. It's food for thought any way. Steven

Bill Siver
11-07-2004, 22:03
That's a good idea. Do you think I could flare some hard line with fittings, or am I gonna need an adapter? The good rad has a tranny cooler in it, so maybe I could just use that!

Thanks,

Bill

Hye
11-08-2004, 03:25
My GM manual says...
"Oil is drawn into the pump through a pickup screen and pipe.
"Pressurized oil is routed to the oil cooler in the radiator. A bypass valve is provided should the oil cooler become restricted. Oil flows from the cooler to a full flow oil filter. An oil filter bypass valve is provided should the oil filter become restricted.
"Oil flows from the oil filter to the oil galleries..."
If you plug the line ports, the bypass valve will let oil flow to the filter. I have no idea if the bypass valve can handle all the flow or for how long. I'd at least install a short loop until I had an external cooler. Niether my '89 or my '94 have oil flowing through the radiator. Both came from the factory with an external oil coolers, transmission fluid coolers and even a P/S fluid cooler.

Bill Siver
11-08-2004, 06:08
All right. I figured that a loop was probably the best thing to do anyway. Now I just have to figure out the crank sizes.

Thanks again,

Bill

kconnair
11-08-2004, 06:43
I don't think that those transmission coolers will flow enough (volume) to ensure that you don't restrict the oil requirements for the engine. I would use a full flow engine oil cooler. They have larger line and passage sizes than transmission coolers, and are intended to handle the higher cold oil pressures that the oiling system experiences due to viscosity.

The transmission coolers are intended to handle the low viscosity transmission oil, which has very good cold flow ablility, and not much pressure gain while cold.

I would place the oil cooler in the air flow, in a place not likely to get damaged by rocks, etc. Since you are going to need to use an external cooler, I would also use a thermostatic bypass for the system. They allow the oil to reach the proper operating temperature.

Good luck,

Kevin.

Bill Siver
11-08-2004, 09:19
Ok, good observation. I hadn't thought about it but if all the oil passes through the cooler before the filter, it would be important to not restrict flow.

Thanks,

Bill

smcghan
11-08-2004, 17:31
Bill I had not thought of the difference in coolers. But the idea is still the same. Just a little more money. Yes, You could make lines for your truck the local hydralic shop could make up some flexable lines with the ends that you would need I had two made up for my camaro that cost under $50. Or maybe you could use brake line and adapt to the end you need. Food for thought anyway. Steven