PDA

View Full Version : ran low on oil

mallet2442
12-31-2003, 17:35
I have a 87 sub with a 6.2L. The radeator was replased and the shop for some reson used a rubber hose with hose clamps to huck up the oil cooler lines. The owner of the truck was driving it down the interstate when it just shut off on him, he tride to crank it and it wouldent start at that time so then he check under the hood and found the oil every where. His diesel macanic friend filled it with oil fixed the line and cranke it. He said it cranked rite up butwas making a lot of tapping sounds, so the shut it off rite then. I was woundering if ther any saving this engine? mabe some low oil kill switch or something. Thank for any replys.

TimA
12-31-2003, 18:28
It sounds like he spun a berring. If I was him i would take off the heads and see if the cylinders need to be borded out. If so i would start looking for a engen or new car, because he would have to do a butt load of crap. ie getting someone to bore out the cylinders, new pistonand so on. if it doesnt have to be bored out start takeing apart the bottom of the engien. But if i had the money for a new truck i would go out and buy a net truck.

mallet2442
01-01-2004, 05:59
I havent heard it running my self! I was thinking it could be the lifters taping? I heard my wifs car do that one time when she let the oil get low?

NH2112
01-02-2004, 07:14
First thing I'd do is hear it running myself. Unless it sounds like it's really going to throw a rod through the side of the block, let it warm up and see if the noises go away. If they do, then take it for a drive but don't get on it too hard. Spun bearings are what I'd guess the problem is, and if you decide to fix it, it's a job that can be done with the engine in the chassis. It won't be real easy, but it is possible.

mallet2442
01-03-2004, 19:06
Well I had time to try to crank it. It is locked up! The starter wont evun try to move it. Im thinking it has a spun bearing. Do you think its worth trying to fix or should I replac the engine? I like to put a 6.5 in it myself. I have a turbo set up off a 6.5 that I purchesed for a nother sub. that I totaled in october.

NH2112
01-04-2004, 06:56
A spun bearing won't lock the engine up, so I'd try to roll it over by hand with a breaker bar and see if you get any movement at all. I'd have to say you've either thrown a rod and it's wedged between the crank and block, or that the rings are basically welded to the cylinder walls. If you can find a good running engine it'll definitely be cheaper to swap it in than to rebuild the one you have.