PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

Suburbanator
12-30-2003, 22:44
Hey guys, how about some opinions on this.
Ran across a web site for marine diesels, they also do on road motors.They have drop-in replacement 6.5 diesels now known as the optimizer 6500. Apperently GM no longer manufactures the 6.5 diesel, AM general has taken over all manufacturing for these engines for their Hummer H1 line, they revamped the manufacturing process and now call the engine the optimizer 6500

Anyway this web site marinedieselusa.com uses a roots type supercharger with an intercooler on the 6.5 diesel. There is little or no metal contact to metal inside the supercharger resuting in little heat and minimal parasitc drag, and no lubrication required. They call it a POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT SUPERCHAGER.

What was very interesting is the torque curve, my lovely 6.2s torque curve climes rapidly to 2000 rpm then falls of the face of the earth :D while the horsepower keeps climbing.This supercharged monster climbs really quick to 460 ft\lbs @1700 rpm then levels out and only drops 50 ft\lbs at 3600 rpm.THATS ONE FLAT CURVE!!! :eek:

They produce 3 power packages
250hp 460ft\lbs torque
300hp 500ft\lbs torque
400hp no torque specs

I know superchargers have popped up as topics once or twice before, but hey I thought that this torque curve thing was pretty cool, exspecially for those who tow or off-road quite a bit.

So, tell me what you think guys (specially Doc and Brittanic)

britannic
12-31-2003, 08:37
Tasty :D ! The great thing about superchargers is that they supply boost at low rpm without any lag. However, the type of supercharger is a big factor and different designs have greatly varying efficiencies.

Personally, I like the fact that a turbo reclaims waste energy and uses it to make more power, whereas a supercharger places a greater parasitic load on the engine. A supercharger/turbo combo would be a lovely package too :D !

At the end of the day, both types of forced induction provide more power with different characteristics - enjoy whichever suits your driving style :cool: !

Peter J. Bierman
12-31-2003, 10:05
Seen this before on a swedish web site, looks awsome but prices are too :eek:
But would have a one a a kind engine.

Peter

CleviteKid
01-01-2004, 08:27
I will drop by and have a chat with them at the Miami Boat Show in February. It was my stumbling across Peninsular Diesel at the Miami Boat Show in about 1997 that put More Power and Peninsular together to work on the Project Truck 300 HP engine.

The heat from supercharging comes from the compression of the air, not the friction of the moving parts. Do you think our diesels actually use the friction between the piston rings and the cylinders to generate the heat that lights off our No. 2 in the combustion chamber ???

Britannic would not be the first to have both a blower and a turbocharger on the same engine: the Detroit Diesel -71, and -92 TA engines have both a Roots blower and a turbocharger for the 2-stroke cycle. The 2-stroke cycle Fairbanks-Morse Opposed Piston engines (WW II submarines, nuclear power plants, emergency diesels on nuclear subs) also have the Roots blower/Turbocharger combo. Some of them are arranged so that the turbo blows into the blower, and at high power the turbo actually spins the blower and adds extra power to the crankshafts (the OP engine has two crankshafts, no valves, and no cylinder heads).

For added amusement, consider the EMD locomotive engine (also 2-stroke). The turbo is driven by the crankshaft via an over-running clutch to provide scavenge air for starting and low-speed, low power running, but de-clutches at high speed and high power to run as a straight turbocharger.

Dr. Lee :cool:

CleviteKid
01-01-2004, 10:13
For those of you not familiar with it, a brief introduction to the Fairbanks-Morse Opposed Piston engine can be found by clicking on F-M O.P. DIESEL (http://members.shaw.ca/diesel-duck/machinery_page/fairbanks_morse/fairbanks_morse.htm) .

Dr. Lee :cool:

Peter J. Bierman
01-01-2004, 13:08
M.A.N. build engines like this in the past.
I know there are two in the museum tug "Seefalcke"
in Hamburg Germany.
I've been wondering how it worked, now I know thanks a lot Doc.

Peter

Suburbanator
01-01-2004, 21:46
Thanks for all the imput. I never considered this as a real install, too much $$$. But being an old muscle car buff, I couldn't help but think that a blower would sure look tough on a diesel truck :D .
So until I can figure out the proper number combination to win the lotto, I'll just stick to what I have ;)

C.K. Piquup
01-11-2004, 14:58
I was considering this set-up until I saw the price,then consider the shipping from Sweden and duties.Shoowee!I wunder how many have been sold.Hey Dr.Lee,could you find that out at the show?They don`t list any dealers in U.S.That would help.I know economics are quite different in Europe also.

grape
01-11-2004, 20:22
I've run the numbers those guys post on their horsepower and torque curves......mathmatically impossible at some of those points.