PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 turbo on a 6.2

Scott Nixon
11-02-2004, 08:41
Sorry, I know this has been covered before but reading through all the posts has me a little confused.

Will the 6.5 exhaust manifolds bolt up to 6.2 heads?

Is all thats needed is to bolt on the exhaust manifolds, the intake, oil lines to the turbo, and figure out how to get exhaust around the A/C stuff?

Thanks!

Scott Nixon

john8662
11-02-2004, 10:56
You have pretty much got it, Everything will physically mount to a 6.2, manifolds and all. The problem lies in where to tap oil pressure and drain oil from the turbo and getting around the A/C because of the way the exhaust of the 6.5 turbocharger points the output downward. For oil supply and drain contact Banks, they make a turbo kit for the 6.2, you can use their parts to make the 6.5TD setup work, mainly the drain plate where the fuel pump is (so you can keep your mechanical fuel pump). You'll also get an oil pressure line to tap oil pressure from a plug located above the oil filter. I am about to do this exact thing on an 82 pickup, but I am gutting the A/C. There is a post on here if you search, the post is about adapting an S-10 A/C box on the firewall for the additional necessary clearance, depending on how you route your exhaust.

198662T
11-02-2004, 16:01
I am in the middle of the same conversion. You need to watch the right exhaust manifold for clearance on the injector lines. I made 4 .250 inch thick spacer plates out of mild steel to move the manifold away from the lines. I replaced my mechanical pump with an electric one from Summit racing and used the OE plate from the 6.5 for the oil return from the turbo.All fits very well. I have not addressed the issue of the a/c box yet as I am putting the wiring back in the cab so I can run the motor.My down pipe will be hand made from 3'' pipe and under the cab out the back will be 4''. This is a 1986 crew cab by the way. The next project is the intercooler !! Good luck.

john8662
11-02-2004, 17:02
Thats a good idea with the spacer plates to move the manifold away. Another thing you can do to get some clearance with the lines is just use the short body 6.2 injectors, or a set of 6.5 injectors, which will get you a little more power. I am going to install 6.5 injectors in mine. But you'll have to check out which heads you have, as long as they are the 83+ heads that use fine thread injectors, they'll work.

FWBennett
11-09-2004, 09:11
Forgive me for interrupting your thread but my thirst for knowledge (and Horse Power) has gotten the better of me. I notice that you talk about interchanging 6.2 and 6.5 injectors with the 6.5 injector giving more power in a 6.2? - is that correct? I've got a 6.2 long block on it's way to replace my tired 6.2 and looking at replacing the injectors in the process, the injector pump is realtivly new and the motor is for an 84 Suburban so I guess I have the Fine Threaded injectors, can I just buy 6.5 injectors and they'll fit fine (no modifications?) and give me more power???
- thanks for helping!

john8662
11-09-2004, 10:30
FWBennett,

I would install a set of 6.5 Turbo injectors in your 6.2 since you have an ATS turbo. You would get better atomization and a better burn, which you will see some improvement in the power department. You are correct in that you are using an 84 engine that you would have fine thread injectors.

I have a question for you though, I have an ATS turbo setup that I just bought and was wondering how the down pipe attached to the turbo exhaust manifold? Mine doesn't have a doughnut adaptor, its just grooved, looks like you just slide 3" pipe over it and clamp it down, is this the case?

Thanks!

FWBennett
11-09-2004, 14:17
Yup - I bought the 3" down tube directly from ATS - price was reasonable and it had all the nice bends already made - I forget if it came with the clamp or I bought it seperatly but it uses one of those "Band Clamps" - so the 3" down tube butts up against the manifold and the clamp fits 1/2 on the manifold and 1/2 on the downtube - I made my exhaust, so on the far end of the downtube it again butts up against each other and another band clamp holds them together - makes for a nice quick removal of the downtube when you need to get at the starter etc.
- thanks for the injector info it's INCREDABLY timely!

FWBennett
11-12-2004, 14:44
Further Questions about injector sizes - I'm under the impression that I can take my 6.2 injectors out and replace them with 6.5 injectors - (this would be desirable because I have installed an ATS turbo on the 6.2) I've been told that the 6.2 and 6.5 injector bodies are of different lengths and require some bending of the injector lines (True?) if so how much bending are we talking about? THEN there's "Van" injectors which have another lenght? (right?)
- thanks!

seabee mike
12-21-2004, 19:11
will installing the 6.5 on a 6.2 with out a turbo help with power?

odee
12-23-2004, 13:58
SWK, how is the project coming along? Did you leave the ac box in place or remove it? How did you route the downpipe on the turbo?

grape
12-23-2004, 14:49
there is one other issue with doing this in our old sheetmetal trucks. If you have a 4x4, get ready to build your crossover from scratch, due to the front driveshaft being on the opposite side of the NP241 equiped trucks. This was the smallest part of the problem with my truck after building the 4" exhaust from the turbo back to the tailpipe with 90 degree mandrel bends and alot of cutting and welding. On the bright side, the 3" intercooler tubes were easy, but mounting the powerstroke cooler in the core support wasn't fun.

britannic
12-23-2004, 18:37
Yes, you can use 6.5LTD injectors in a 6.2L, providing it used the fine thread style and not the earlier coarse thread type. One point to note: the 6.5LTD injectors are shorter than the 6.2L ones, so you'll need to push your lines in a bit - I didn't have any problem with mine and I was able to use the original injector lines and clamps - YMMV.

Originally posted by FWBennett:
Further Questions about injector sizes - I'm under the impression that I can take my 6.2 injectors out and replace them with 6.5 injectors - (this would be desirable because I have installed an ATS turbo on the 6.2) I've been told that the 6.2 and 6.5 injector bodies are of different lengths and require some bending of the injector lines (True?) if so how much bending are we talking about? THEN there's "Van" injectors which have another lenght? (right?)
- thanks!

odee
12-31-2004, 18:21
Does anyone have any pic's of the 6.5 turbo mounted in the early body style with a/c? How is the down pipe routed off the turbo?