PDA

View Full Version : glow controller in back of head

monroe_s
12-22-2003, 13:40
if i am correct there is something that deals with the glow plug system in the back of the drivers side head. i didn't realize this till i started to put my engine back together and realized i had lost this piece. would it be alright to simply cover the hole or do i need this piece.

by the way my glow plugs are operated off a switch, not the trucks original config.

83 C20

5.7L oldsdiesel
12-22-2003, 13:50
Well,i beleive that if your not using the original configuration,then probably yes,you can plug the hole.In the early 80's the 6.2 diesel had a thermal controller threaded into the cylinder head.....you already know that i'm sure. smile.gif Im assuming your using a manual controlled setup i would presume?

monroe_s
12-22-2003, 15:40
yes i have a manual control setup. i found the thing hanging back there after i pulled my engine and thought it might have something to do w/ the 700 r4 that used to be in the truck so i threw it away. after the engine was out i got to putting it back together and wondered why i had a hole in the back of my head! thanks for the info its much appreciated!

catmandoo
12-22-2003, 18:51
if i remember correctly the hole you refer to is not tapped the controller has a big o-ring seal on the bottom was held in by a bracket that had 2 bolts on it

monroe_s
12-22-2003, 20:09
yes now do i need this or can i get another cover for the hole?

Thanks