PDA

View Full Version : lift pump question

dmmotes
10-27-2004, 16:26
I am in the process of converting my 83 sub to run on svo and want to use an electric lift pump instead of the manual one. My question is if I re-route the fuel lines can I just leave the manual lp bolted to the block or do I need to remove it and install some kind of cover plate.

TimK
10-27-2004, 19:02
Leaving the pump in place won't hurt anything. It's a simple diaphram type of mechanical pump so it doesn't use the fuel as a lubricant.

TimK

gavio
10-28-2004, 10:12
When I did mine, I replaced the mechanical pump with the cover plate. I'd heard that the diaphram can rupture, which leaves you with fuel in your crankcase or oil on the ground - both being bad news for your engine.

The cover is a few bucks from the dealer - really cheap considering the possible alternatives.

Good luck with your conversion!

Subzilla
10-28-2004, 11:40
I purchased a nice chrome plate from Advance Auto made by Mr. Gasket, I think. Only a few bucks. I agree with Gavio about the rupture.

jcomp
10-28-2004, 17:30
If I understand the question, you are completely bypassing the mechanical pump? If so, you don't have to worry about the pump leaking fuel into the engine. I left a mechanical pump in my pontiac to fill the hole (was using an electric pump) and the pump made a loud air-pumping-type-noise while the engine was running. Don't know if you'd be able to hear it on a diesel, though.

gavio
10-29-2004, 09:11
Well, now, that's a good point about the fuel! My capacity to miss the obvious astounds me sometimes. :D

Nevertheless, a ruptured diaphram letting all yer oil out on the ground would still be an ugly possibility. I don't know if that would really happen, but I heard it could soooooo...