PDA

View Full Version : Battery replacement

shamanie
10-25-2004, 08:47
I would like to know what and where I can find a suitable battery replacement for my truck.

While giving someone a jump the other day I noticed that the battery on the right side did not work but the one on the left did.

Any suggestions? Who makes the best most reliable battery?

Thanks guys.

TimK
10-26-2004, 06:10
To get good information on who is currently making the best battery, you should get a copy of Consumer Reports. If you have a stock setup in your truck, you should get your batteries as a matched pair. Without a battery isolator between the two batteries, each battery sees the others batteries voltage and resistance. With two new batteries you are more likely to have two batteries with the same voltage and internal resistance. This will help prevent the two batteries from draining each other.

TimK

shamanie
10-26-2004, 16:06
Ok, so not only did I pay for access to the website but now I gotta go spring for info from consumer reports that should be readily available here. This needs to be in a basics section of the website. You got a 6.2.....here are some maintenance suggestions, product suggestions, Jesus....someone has gotta have experience with replacing their batteries here.

Tim, I'm not barking at you. You made a great point which I was wondering about, i.e., if I just replace the bad one what happens? I will go ahead and replace both....thanks man.

AND SOMEONE......FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.....The last time you had to replace the batteries, what kind did you use and why?

NH2112
10-26-2004, 17:26
I put a single yellow Wal-Mart battery (1000CCA or so) in my ex-gasser C1500 18 months or so ago, and it hasn't given me a single problem even with the deep freeze we had last winter.

As far as who makes good ones, there are only 3 major battery manufacturers in the USA - Johnson Controls, Exide, and Delco, I believe. Wal-Mart, Autozone, etc batteries are made by Johnson Controls, Diehards are any and all of the 3, and you find Exides all over the place. (I can't remember who makes Interstate batteries.) Others you may see are GNB, Deka, and Champion. I used a 1050CCA Champion from Sam's once and it wasn't all that great. In my K10 I ran 2 850CCA Interstates for a few years and had no problems with them.

shamanie
10-26-2004, 17:30
Optima Batteries....

YEL34/78 750 Optima 34DTO
RED34/78 800 Optima 34DTO
RED75/35 720 Optima 75DTO

I found these recommended at a couple of other places. So the 800 is the cold cranking amps...not sure what the other numbers correspond to but I think I am going to roll with it.

Thanks Guys

john8662
10-26-2004, 18:13
Opinion?

I'd go with the already mentioned Optima, although pricey, look to be a good better battery although I haven't tried them yet.

The batteries I have had great success with are:

Interstate
Diehard

Batteries I stay the hell away from are:

Everstart, Anything walmart has or will ever stock (Never start)
Douglas Battery (all are too wet, leak from sidepost)

If i had to get a good all-around battery, its going to be the interstate MT80 in my truck. For a warranty that will be backed and supported, go with the Diehard.

I would also replace them both at the same time. Keep the good old one for something else. Also, do the "Dr. Lee" battery terminal upgrade, you'll be glad you did!

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/batterm.htm

You'll need your DP username/pass not the forum user and pass.

TimK
10-27-2004, 06:42
Ok, I'll tell.

Before my engine replacement I ran a set of Delco's that never gave me any problems for 6 years in my Sub. When I replaced the motor here not too long ago, I replaced them with a pair of Autolites. They seem to be working fine. In my Land Rover I have a dual set of Batteries from Walmart. (I think they are called Everstarts). I have had them for five years with no problems. In the Mercedes 300D I have one 1000CCA battery from Les Schwabs ( a franchise of tire stores in the Pacific Northwest). I have had that for 4 years. I just replaced the battery in my wifes 2000 New Beetle TDI diesel. It was a factory battery from VW and it recently died. I installed an Autolite not because they have highly regarded batteries but because the auto parts store that sold it was the only one open that late at night. The battery compartment in the Beetle is very tight and only one size will fit properly.

TimK

Hye
10-27-2004, 07:35
Interstate. They are durable and readily available IF you have a problem.
I will replace one that's made six years sometime this week with another Interstate.

jcomp
10-27-2004, 15:46
Originally posted by shamanie:
Ok, so not only did I pay for access to the website but now I gotta go spring for info from consumer reports that should be readily available here. It gets better, most of the 6.2 information here is only available in "back issues". Available at extra cost, of course.

Anyway, your batteries should have both been able to jump the other car. They are wired in parallel. Check your battery cables and connections.

I've been using NAPA batteries for a couple of harsh winters and no problems. I have a small 1.5A self regulating battery charger (checker/shucks/kragen carries them) mounted under the hood that I plug in when I park the truck. With fully charged batteries and my manual glow plug setup, my truck has ALWAYS started. Even in the dead of winter after a couple weeks of subzero temps.

shamanie
10-28-2004, 11:56
Originally posted by jcomp:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by shamanie:
Ok, so not only did I pay for access to the website but now I gotta go spring for info from consumer reports that should be readily available here. It gets better, most of the 6.2 information here is only available in "back issues". Available at extra cost, of course.</font>[/QUOTE]lol, your right. That is better. &lt;Shakes head while bending over&gt;

Here's what I did. Went to sears and got two Optima batteries. When I went to change them out I found that the positive side terminal on the right side(looking out from inside the truck) was so corroded that the bolt stripped. " insert wide array of profanity here ".

What we ended up doing was cutting the terminal off and replacing it with a top side terminal connection, (is that ok?) as that's all they had at autozone. Apparently they have never heard of just in time inventory applications at autozone. "I guess we are out of those, humph, we have been for a while, don't know why?"

Actually, the two fellas that helped me were indespensible. I mean, they were into it. We all had bloody knuckles trying to get that bolt out.

Anyway, the optimas are really great, no cranking involved just vroom.

I am a little concerned about the corrosion though and was wondering what I might do about it.

Can I go ahead and replace all the battery terminals and wiring? I noticed the positive terminal has a wire running down underneath the front right side of the engine back, I didn't follow it all the way back but was curious as to where it ends up when I saw it.

Where do you go to get all that wiring and terminals and stuff?

Lastly, I'm a layman you guys, I'm trying the best I can and appreciate your posts and patience, the "back issues" make it harder than things should be I think but, thanks for the help.

If any of you are attending sema in Vegas this year I'd be happy to meet up with ya and buy ya a cold one.

Cheers
Shamanie

198662T
10-28-2004, 15:31
I use the Deka or Delco. We use the D8 (large)battery in over 900 mass transit buses each day with severe daily loads on them and we get an average of 2 years out of them but remember that is a mass transit bus not your truck. In my experience as long as they are serviced as needed with clean tight connections and replaced in pairs if needed you should not have trouble. Good luck.

jcomp
10-28-2004, 17:38
I replaced all my battery cables with 4/0 welding cable and top post connectors. I've got a #2 wire going to my glow plug relay and I wired in a ford starter solenoid for my starter. I relocated all the wires from the original solenoid to the ford unit mounted on the fenderwell. If you'd like, I can probably put up some pictures. It was a big (and not very cheap) job but my truck cranks better and changing the starter is a lot easier now.

shamanie
10-28-2004, 19:14
Jcomp, I'm on the floor laughing at that pic you got under your name....16% grade....buhahahah....that's great.

Pics would be great. Thanks.

jcomp
10-29-2004, 09:59
Yeah, that was a steep hill. It was at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Driving up and down that 5 mile road was more interesting than the canyon itself.

Here's the ford starter solenoid for my starter. Both batteries and the alternator output are all connected to one side of the solenoid. All the connectors are crimped and covered in heat shrink.
http://jcomp.home.bresnan.net/blazerwiring1.jpg

Here's the driver's side. You can see the old GP solenoid and the ford solenoid (for my manual GP setup) next to it. This is also where the truck gets all of the accessory power. It's hard to tell, but I've got fusible links there. The wrench on the battery is wired down, it's to connect the winch power cable (to the side terminal) in an emergency.

http://jcomp.home.bresnan.net/blazerwiring2.jpg

Here's the starter, you can barely see the blue jumper wire. It jumps the main power cable to the solenoid "s" terminal.

http://jcomp.home.bresnan.net/blazerwiring3.jpg

FWBennett
05-10-2005, 11:32
OK - this info is a little late but may be of some help to others. Consumer Report's listed the Kirkland (from Costco Membership Stores) as being the "Quick Pick/Best Buy" It's equal to the SEARS Diehard but about $30 cheaper (their price was $60 vs $90) Sears Diehard came in second, NASCAR (I'm not familar with came in 3rd and Walmart - Everstart came in a close 4th. AC Delco came in either 5th or 6th with a graph that made it all the way through the "Good" category to the edge of Very Good (the above mentioned all made it into the Very Good Category - there was no mention of Interstate so I'm not sure if they are a West Coast only and didn't get reviewed or what????
My $0.02

britannic
05-10-2005, 19:21
Another option is NAPA's Orbital battery line, which is a cheaper competitor to the Optima (similar technology).

britannic
05-10-2005, 19:43
The following, although long, is an interesting anecdote:

ACDelco battery still cranks after 50 years underwater

An ACDelco battery recently passed the ultimate test of endurance - it still cranks after spending more than 50 years on the bottom of Lake Michigan. The battery, which was retrieved from a plane that crashed in Lake Michigan on Feb. 29, 1944, was manufactured by the former Delco Remy Division, now Delphi Energy & Engine Management Systems.

According to the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, FL, during World War II, the U.S. Navy conducted training exercises in Lake Michigan from two aircraft carriers

moondoggie
05-11-2005, 09:09
Good Day!

Matched batteries is critical; Dr. Lee

Craig M
05-11-2005, 11:22
I have been preety happy with my Optimas. One Optima will start my Detroit 8V71 2 stroke engine! Would like to go to SEMA this year, just got to figure how to get a ticket.