PDA

View Full Version : A6 compressor ? ? ?

CleviteKid
10-24-2004, 15:50
The Clevite Kid seeks your advice:

The rebuilt axial A6 A/C compressor on my truck has given up the ghost. With what brands and suppliers of compressors have you all had good luck?

NAPA? AutoZone? Delco? others?

At least it didn't let go at the beginning of summer.

Dr. Lee :(

catmandoo
10-24-2004, 17:38
might cost a little more but i'd go delco.

Bob Q
10-24-2004, 17:51
I'd go with the Delco too.

grape
10-24-2004, 20:11
sanden

HammerWerf
10-25-2004, 06:44
Dr. Lee,

The last time I replaced my A-6, I used a company called Arizona Mobile Air, out of Phoenix. Web page http://www.ackits.com/

Cost was very competitive(actually lower than my local suppliers.) The re-manufacturer they use is the same one that GM uses for their warranty work. Its been over 2 years since I put their unit in. Prior locally supplied compressors had life spans of less than 1 year.

they also have a forum to answer questions.

HammerWerf

arveetek
10-25-2004, 07:09
I bought a reman A6 from my local auto supply. The unit was remanufactured by Four Seasons. The compressor has worked great, but the clutch has given me fits since I installed it two summers ago.

The first clutch started slipping fairly soon after installation. The box the compressor was shipped in wasn't very substantial. The clutch was sligthly bent because of damaged caused from shipping. I got a new clutch and replaced it myself.

The second clutch failed because I don't think I installed it quite right.

The third clutch was installed perfectly, but it started slipping too.

I ordered another compressor, but refused it after seeing the damaged clutch on it as well. All this work has been done under warranty, but now the warranty is out, I think.

Most of the time it works great, just fine for normal driving. But when towing heavy loads, the underhood temperatures climb high enough that when you come to a stop, and the condensor can't give off enough heat, and the a/c system pressure rises, that the clutch starts slipping, and when you take off from the stop, it squeals and quits cooling. A lot of times, it won't work again until the engine has cooled off.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm wondering if the higher R-134a pressures is part of the problem, or if it's just a bad reman'ed part. With everyday normal driving, it works great, and cools better than any vehicle I've ever owned.

Anyway, I'd suggest you go with a higher quality unit, like AC Delco.

Casey

Subzilla
10-25-2004, 07:39
Forget the NAPA stuff! I went through 3 compressors before getting a good one (supposedley an upgrade). Clutch grenaded on one after 2 months, the front seal blew during recharging on another, and I don't remember the third one. This one has lasted about 5 years.

JeepSJ
10-25-2004, 09:36
I agree with Hammer about Arizona Mobile Air - I used them for some parts on my wife's car and their customer service was great. You have to be careful with the rebuilt A6 units as they have seal problems. IIRC, the ones that you get from AMA have an updated seal design.

CleviteKid
10-26-2004, 14:48
Thanx for all the advice.

I ended up with a Delco Reman, at a good price ($128). The dead unit was a Four Seasons, about as good as Casey's, I suspect.

Dr. Lee :cool: